LONG TERM SUBSTITUTE
- Holds or is eligible for a New Jersey certificate with appropriate endorsement for Guidance
Reports To: Supervisor of Pupil Services
Job Goal: To help students overcome problems that impede learning and to assist them in making educational, occupational and life plans that hold promise for their personal fulfillment as mature and responsible men and women.
- Participates in the administration of the testing programs as directed.
- Assists students in evaluating their abilities and aptitudes through the interpretation of available data, and works with the student and his/her parents in evolving educational and vocational plans in terms of the evaluation.
- Counsels students individually and in group sessions in personal and social problems and educational and vocational opportunities; remains available for further counseling to assist students to achieve greater success.
- Initiates conferences with parents and teacher to help them better understand and assist in the educational and vocational guidance of their students.
- Develops with the student an educational program that best fits the needs of the student. (This is done each year in a conference, using the course selection process.)
- Confers with parents and teachers on school problems, test results, absenteeism and lateness.
- Assembles, maintains and interprets accurate authorized cumulative permanent records; maintains the confidentiality of such records; and participates in the organization and administration of the standardized testing program.
- Assists in the preparation and processing of college, scholarship, and financial aid and employment applications and makes recommendations for admissions and scholarships.
- Assists in upholding and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations and Board Policy.
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and techniques within the field and actively pursues and continues professional growth through the performance evaluation and personal improvement plan.
- Develops Child Study Team referrals when necessary and functions as a liaison person between the Child Study Team and teachers.
- Maintains an efficient record-keeping system.
- Assists in the development and implementation of a comprehensive vocational/career guidance and counseling program.
- Performs other duties which may be within the scope of his/her employment and certifications as may be assigned by his/her supervisor or other member of the administrative staff under the authority of the Board of Education.
Contract year: September 1 to June 30 (10 Mos.)
Job Family Professional Staff
Pay Grade/Compensation Structure: G10
Evaluation: In accordance with Board policy