Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Post-Offer Medical Exam Required
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP SCHOOL DISTRICT
1. Black Seal License (required only for full-time positions)
2. Minimum experience as determined by the board
3. Knowledge of plant operation and maintenance; cleaning methods and
procedures; heating and ventilation; proper handling of hazardous
4. Ability to climb ladders, move heavy items, and lift 50 pounds
5. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively
6. Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S.
citizenship or legal resident alien status
REPORTS TO : Custodial Supervisor (and School Principal; Assistant Principal)
JOB GOAL: To provide a safe, clean and comfortable school environment.
1. Opens/closes the building each day. Determines, before leaving, that all doors and windows
are secured, and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off.
2. Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly
during the hours of building occupancy.
1. Keeps building and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas neat and clean
at all times.
2. Operates heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to provide temperatures appropriate
to the season and to ensure economical use of fuel, water, and electricity.
3. Cleans and dusts classrooms, offices, library and faculty room daily; empties waste baskets
in these areas.
4. Cleans corridors after each school day, and during the day when their condition requires it.
5. Cleans and sanitizes bathroom fixtures and floors daily, and replenishes paper and soap
supplies as needed.
6. Cleans and sanitizes all drinking fountains daily.
7. Cleans cafeteria dining areas after use.
8. Obeys all fire/safety and environmental laws and regulations relating to the plant operation.
9. Cleans chalkboards or ledges as required, daily.
10. Moves furniture or equipment within the building as required for various activities and as
directed by the head custodian or principal.
11. Complies with all laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of recyclables, trash,
waste, and debris.
12. Conducts an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep and repair, making minor
repairs and reporting major repair needs promptly to the head custodian.
13. Cleans all windows on both the inside and outside as scheduled.
14. Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
15. Operates district cleaning equipment as required.
16. Remains on school premises during school hours and during nonschool hours when the
use of the building has been authorized and his/her attendance is required by the principal.
(Boiler license required)
1. Keeps the grounds free from rubbish and debris.
2. Shovels, plows, salts, and/or sweeps sidewalks, steps, driveways and parking areas as
3. Raises and lowers the U.S. flag during school hours on days when school is in session.
4. Performs grounds-keeping chores including grass-cutting, tree-trimming, leaf raking and
removal of litter, to maintain the grounds in a safe and attractive condition.
1. Performs related duties as assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Work year and salary to be determined by the board.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with NJ State law and the
provisions of the board’s policy on evaluations.