QUALIFICATIONS: Shall possess a New Jersey Black Seal License or secure one within 6 months of assuming the position. Minimum experience as determined by the Board. Knowledge of plant operation and maintenance; cleaning methods and procedures; heating and ventilation; proper handling of hazardous materials. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively. Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable. Certification of good health signed by a licensed physician.
REPORTS TO: Custodian I Custodian II JOB GOALS: To provide a safe, clean and comfortable school environment in such a manner that the full education use of the school plant and grounds may be utilized by students and staff. The Custodian II shall perform such activities as directed by the Custodian I. The Custodian II is responsible for the execution and completion of special assignments as requested by the Manager of Buildings and Grounds.
- Opens/closes all buildings each day. Determines, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured, and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off.
- Keeps buildings and premises, including sidewalks, driveways and planted areas neat and clean at all times.
- Operates heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to provide temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical use of fuel, water, and electricity.
- Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building occupancy.
- Displays the U.S. flag during school hours on days when school is in session.
- Cleans and dusts classrooms, offices, conference rooms, lunchroom daily; empties waste baskets in these areas.
- Cleans corridors after each school day and during the day when their condition requires it.
- Cleans and sanitizes bathroom fixtures and floors daily; cleans all sanitary fixtures and drinking fountains daily.
- Cleans cafeteria dining areas after use.
- Shovels, plows, salts, and/or sweeps sidewalks, steps, driveways and parking areas as necessary.
- Obeys all fire/safety and environmental laws and regulations relating to the plant operation.
- Keeps the grounds free from rubbish and debris.
- Cleans chalkboards/whiteboards daily.
- Moves furniture or equipment within the building as required for various activities and as directed by the Custodian I, Principal, or Manager of Buildings and Grounds.
- Complies with all laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of recyclables, trash, waste and debris.
- Conducts an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep and repair, making minor repairs and reporting major repair needs promptly to the Custodian I.
- Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
- Performs grounds keeping chores including grass-cutting, tree-trimming, leaf raking, removal of litter and like duties as necessary to maintain the grounds in a safe and attractive condition.
- Covers shift changing procedure rotation when night custodian is off.
- Remains on the school premises during school hours and non-school hours when the use of the buildings has been authorized and his/her attendance is required.
- Any and all additional duties as may be assigned by the Manager of Buildings and Grounds.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Twelve (12) Month Year Salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of non-certified staff. The Mercer County Technical School District guarantees equal opportunities to all, regardless of race, color, age, creed, gender identity or expression, affectional or sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, marital status, disability, nationality or sex.
Americans with Disabilities Act Statement External and internal applicants, as well as employees who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential functions listed on this job description either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The Mercer County Technical Schools Administration shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law, in the event such a determination becomes necessary.
Essential Functions Statement I have read this job description and I certify that I meet all of the qualifications of the position, and I can perform all of the essential functions of the position unaided or with accommodation.