Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEÓN, SUPERINTENDENT
PRINCIPAL TECHNICIAN MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Office of Information Services
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Principal Technician Management Information Systems - Temporary within the Office of Information Services.
This title is governed by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission; meaning that a candidate for the position will be placed as a provisional employee. At a later date the candidate will be required to take an examination administered by the Civil Service Commission. Candidates must score and rank high enough on this examination in order to remain in the position as a permanent employee.
DEFINITION: Under direction of a supervisory official in a state or local department, institution, or agency, supervises staff involved in the planning, development, and implementation of information systems, reviews related programs and systems; acts as liaison with internal components utilizing the systems, and/or with other government jurisdictions; or in a client/server environment, provides hardware/software support to end users; installs hardware and software on servers or workstations; does other related duties.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree.
2. Two (2) years of experience utilizing or implementing electronic information systems, analyzing information systems and/or developing procedures for the use of information systems, or providing user support and solving user problems in a help desk or related environment.
3. Appointee will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle rather than employee mobility is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute additional experience as indicated above on a year-for-year basis.
NOTE: A Bachelor's degree in a computer-related area may be substituted for one (1) year of the experience as indicated above.
NOTE: A Master's degree in a computer-related area may be substituted for two (2) years of the experience as indicated above.
NOTE: Twenty-four (24) credits in data processing from an accredited college may be substituted for two (2) years of the education requirement.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. As directed, designs and develops management information systems to provide a ready source of retrieval up-to-date information on which management and operations-related decisions may be based. Develops applicable procedures as required.
2. Conducts studies of programs and operations to determine their applicability to existing or planned information systems. Prepares and submits reports of findings and recommendations.
3. As directed, plans and implements information systems to ensure that administrative needs are met. Evaluates information systems to determine levels and quality of outputs.
4. As directed, develops, implements, and maintains control devices to ensure that systems outputs meet established standards of adequacy, efficiency, and effectiveness.
5. Trains and supervises staff, as required, to establish and maintain optimum levels of preciseness and quality of information within affected systems. As directed, prepares manuals and other training materials.
6. Reviews regulations and policies for various programs and related systems, and consults with data processing, systems, and program development specialists to ensure that application of active or planned information systems is in accordance with pertinent directives.
7. Plans, organizes, and assigns the work of the organizational unit and evaluates employee performance and conduct, enabling the effective recommendation of the hiring, firing, promoting, and disciplining of subordinates.
8. Analyzes and/or supervises the coding of data contained in primary or other source documents to facilitate the recording and storage of systems inputs.
9. Answers inquiries from system users; explains system functions and provides technical assistance in the use and application of system features.
10. Provides support in the maintenance of mainframe connections.
11. Installs, configures and sets up printers and workstations; installs software programs.
12. Responds to requests for assistance; identifies and corrects hardware, software, and printer problems.
13. Troubleshoots application errors. Identifies and resolve network problems.
14. Monitors and reviews data inputs to detect errors within the system, analyzes resultant problems, and develops corrected data/information for entry into the system.
15. Develops, installs, and revises procedures, systems and methods, and seeks to improve established operating methods.
16. Acts as liaison with federal, state, and local agencies.
17. Ensures that post-conversion systems operations remain fluid by providing budget, staffing, and technical recommendations.
18. Prepares correspondence.
19. Supervises the maintenance of records, files, and data banks.
20. Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the agency, office or related units.
21. Perform other duties and tasks assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of the methods used to plan, develop and implement information systems.
2. Knowledge of client/server productivity aid packages.
3. Knowledge of various project scheduling techniques, such as Critical Path Management (CPM), PERT, and GANTT.
4. Knowledge of the techniques used to conduct surveys, feasibility studies, operational analyses, and systems studies for the development of plans, operations implementation, and other specialized planning and research methods.
5. Knowledge of computerized systems, peripheral devices, and supportive operational equipment, and organizational backup.
6. Ability to use system diagnosis tools.
7. Ability to use Network Center productivity aids and software packages.
8. Ability to organize assigned technical and supervisory planning work, organize planning programs, and develop effective work methods.
9. Ability to provide appropriate assignments and instructions to technical analysts, development staff, and clerical employees, and supervise the performance of their work.
10. Ability to plan and oversee technical, systems work planning, and development activities.
11. Ability to coordinate project activities. Ability to prepare correspondence.
12. Ability to prepare and supervise the preparation of reports and plans containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
13. Ability to supervise the establishment and maintenance of records and files.
14. Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
15. Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
16. Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
REPORTS TO: Department Head
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD AND UNION AFFILIATION
1. Salary Range: $80,102 - $92,326
2. Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
3. Union Affiliation: Local 32
HOW TO APPLY
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications.
OPENING and CLOSING DATE
Opening Date: October 4, 2023
Closing Date: October 18, 2023 or until filled
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Salary80,102.00 - 92,326.00 Annual
Type of Job (K-12 or Higher Ed.)