Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
LEAP Academy University Charter School is seeking an experienced, highly qualified, passionate and dedicated Special Education Teacher (Grades 6-8). LEAP's Special Education Teachers show an unwavering commitment to the growth and success of all of our students with learning disabilities. Special Education Teachers ensure that students meet academic success in their classrooms as measured by achievement on Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals and student grades.
The Special Education Teacher works in an inclusive classroom style ensuring that LEAP meets and/or exceeds the academic indicators found within the NJ Charter School Performance Framework.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design ambitious assignments, learning goals, outcomes, and assessments that require exemplary work from every student; ensuring skill and knowledge is demonstrated from every content lesson.
- Ability to identify and assess students' strengths, needs, and growth of learning goals and outcomes for diverse academic needs including students with disabilities, English language learners, and students who are academically behind.
- Ability to create a learning in environment in which the activities, materials, resources, and grouping strategies maximize the teacher-student engagement.
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data to measure progress and use data to inform instruction through "real world" applications.
- Ability to create a learning environment where all students demonstrate thorough understanding of content through multiple representations and are able to apply strategy for solving problems.
- Establish a culture where students learn to take initiative of their own learning discipline.
- Has proven positive classroom management techniques that encourage an overall climate that feels safe and is focused on learning and the respectful exchange of ideas: providing procedures and routines for handling disruptions, proactivity identifying and addressing potential student misbehavior, showing appreciation for each child as an individual.
- Ability to promote active participation of all students that prompts thoughtful responses that demonstration critical thinking and understanding.
- Ability to integrate new knowledge through the encouragement of student engagement within groups; assessing and re-grouping as students are mastering each level.
- Ability to incorporate assessments into effective student feedback; helping students measure their own performance.
Education & Qualifications:
- Communicates data and student learning goals and outcomes to students and parents at frequent intervals; building strong home-school relationships.
- Maintains non-instructional records (e.g., attendance, grading, discipline, schedules).
- Committed to ongoing professional development; while modeling, implementing, and supporting initiatives and best practices among colleagues.
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement.
How to Apply
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred
- Required NJ state teacher certification (New Jersey Standard Certificate, Certificate of Eligibility (CE) or Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) or be eligible for reciprocity with an out-of-state certificate)
- Experience working directly with special education population in an urban classroom setting
- Documented experience using data-driven instruction to achieve significant student gains
- Strong working knowledge of completing and utilizing the IEP Data Collection Toolkit
All interested candidates should apply directly through the LEAP University Academy Charter School website in the "Careers" section: http://www.leapacademycharter.org/careers.html