Benedict A. Cucinella School
JOB DESCRIPTION: Elementary Teacher, Gr. 4/5 English Language Arts
Start Date: August 29, 2022
- Appropriate Certificate Required
- Innovative, Child-centered Professional
- Sound Understanding of Childhood Development
- Knowledge/application of research-based, developmentally appropriate content area instructional strategies
- Knowledge of New Jersey Student Learning Standards
- Strong Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
SALARY: Negotiated Rate
REPORTS TO: Principal/Designated Administrator
SUPERVISES: Pupils, and when assigned, student teachers and classroom aides
JOB GOAL: To provide an approved education program and establish a class environment that fosters learning and personal growth; to help pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for continued education; and to maintain positive relationships with students, parents and other staff members.
Planning and Preparation
1. Works to achieve state core curriculum content standards and district educational goals and objectives by promoting active learning in the classroom using board-adopted curricula and textbooks, and appropriate learning materials/resources.
2. Sets specific instructional objectives in lesson planning and preparation, and executes delivery to effectively achieve these objectives.
3. Plans class activities and lesson presentations that are age-appropriate for the class and that consider the individual needs, interests and ability levels of all pupils.
4. Designs student assessments that are based on specific standards, congruent with desired outcomes, and utilized formatively for planning purposes.
1. Designs activities, projects, assignments and assessments that stimulate thought, and require analytical and critical thinking as well as the recall of key facts.
2. Provides constructive feedback to students and monitors their progress and personal growth toward stated objectives of instruction.
3. Manages class time effectively, maximizing student engagement/participation in lesson delivery.
4. Selects instructional materials and resources that support student attainment of core curriculum content standards.
5. Communicates expectations for learning, lesson directions and procedures, and subject area content, both orally and in written form.
6. Utilizes flexible grouping practices to meet students’ needs and facilitate active lesson engagement on the part of all learners.
7. Varies assessment strategies to promote effective monitoring of student learning and promote student self-reflection/assessment.
The Classroom Environment
1. Fosters an environment of mutual respect and establishes a healthy rapport with and among students.
2. Manages instructional resources and materials for ease of accessibility by both students and teacher.
3. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a classroom climate conducive to learning.
4. Promotes a classroom culture in which learning is valued and students take pride in their schoolwork.
5. Arranges physical spaces that support student learning and optimize student safety.
6. Manages and employs classroom procedures that serve to enhance overall teaching effectiveness.
1. Communicates with parents about the instructional program and student progress.
2. Makes effective use of community resources to enhance the instructional program.
3. Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities.
4. Serves as an active, collaborative member of the professional community.
5. Maintains accurate student records relative to student progress in learning.
6. Engages in self-reflection as a means of refining and revising professional practices.
7. Exhibits professionalism in executing day-to-day responsibilities.
1. Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
10-Month Position with Salary/Conditions per Negotiated Agreement.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with NJ State law and the provisions of the board’s policy on observations/evaluations.