SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Valid New Jersey Teacher Handicapped certification or eligible.
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB GOAL To lead students toward the fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, and psychological growth and maturation. Also, to provide the instructional program specified in
each student's Individualized Educational Plan.
1. Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
2. Develops and maintains a classroom environment conductive to effective learning within the limits of the resources provided by the district.
3. Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
4. Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
5. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the
physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved/
6. Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
7. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
8. Evaluated students progress on a regular basis.
9. Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
10. Assists in upholding and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations, and Board policy. 11. Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education related purposes
outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
12. Attends and participated in faculty meetings.
13. Cooperates with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, and
14. Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
15. Accepts a share of responsibility for co-curriculum activities as assigned.
16. Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents
concerning both the broad academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (continued):
17. Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with others. 18. Provides for his own professional growth through an ongoing program of reading, workshops,
seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.