P/T GED Instructor - Monmouth County Corrections Institution
Summary: Responsible for teaching basic skills to adult inmates with varying academic levels while integrating the necessary skills to pass the GED exam such as English, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Helps inmates meet necessary goals and qualify to earn their GED. This position is to provide in-person instruction from 8:30 - 1:30pm, Mondays through Fridays.
- Valid NJ Teacher Certification required, NJ Secondary Certification preferred
- Minimum three years’ teaching experience preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Operational knowledge of the Internet and Web-related technologies
- Must be responsible, accountable, and self-motivated
- Work independently with little direct supervision
- Effective prioritizing, organizing, and time management skills
- Must be able to pass NJ DOE Criminal History Background Check and Monmouth County Sheriff's Office Corrections Division Security Clearance
- Understanding of adult learning strategies preferred
- Instruct inmates on material needed in order to earn their GED.
- Teach basic skills encompassing Math, Science, English, and Social Studies.
- Help inmates prepare and study for the GED exam.
- Assess inmates' readiness to take the GED exam.
- Create lesson plans and modify accordingly throughout the session.
- Evaluates work and provides feedback.
- Coordinates enrollments and scheduling with MCCI personnel.
- Read and stay abreast of current topics in education.
- Utilize various curriculum resources.
- Utilize curricula that reflect the diverse educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the inmates served.
- Develop professional relationships with other agencies and programs.
- Work with MOESC & MCCI personnel to ensure initiatives are being met.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Prepare and distribute required reports.
- Observe and evaluate the inmates’ performance.
Closing Date: 8/9/20 or until position is filled
Interested candidates must apply through NJ School Jobs.
Please attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
MOESC is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer