Computer Support Technician
Under the general supervision of the Director of Technology, to maintain the school district's computer and network equipment in operating condition, meeting the technology needs of the district; troubleshooting and repairing computer hardware and software, and resolving immediate computer operational problems.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Installs and maintain computer operating systems, application software, and related computer equipment.
- Performs computer and network hardware and software repair (computers, servers, switches, printers, scanners, and programs).
- Creates and maintains E-Mail and Internet accounts on computers; configures E-Mail and security on computers.
- Inspects computer and network equipment requiring specialized computer repair and troubleshooting for the purpose of identifying and verifying repair needs.
- Assesses malfunctions of hardware for the purpose of determining appropriate actions to maintain computer and network operations.
- Provides technical support to users of hardware and software.
- Maintains the school based computer labs in good working order.
- Trains selected individuals for the purpose of ensuring their ability to use computer systems and new or existing software.
- Coordinates computer and network-related repair requests.
- Assists in record-keeping regarding the functioning and inventory of the school district's computers and related equipment, repairs, etc.
- Assists in making recommendations regarding the purchase of new computers, software, and related equipment.
Performs other related tasks as assigned.
The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses personal computers, servers, switches, scanners and printers, and related equipment.
Travel to school district locations to repair hardware, install software and assist end users.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Extensive knowledge of computer hardware and software installation procedures.
- Knowledge of all school district personal computer and software applications.
- Understanding of current operating platforms, computer hardware and associated peripherals, and software applications.
- Ability to inspect, assess, troubleshoot and repair computer network system, hardware and software.
- Ability to work independently.
- Extensive knowledge of E-Mail, Internet, WAN, LAN, and other computer network programs and operations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of end-users.
- Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to report work orally and/or in writing to supervisor.
- Ability to establish and, maintain cooperative working relationship with, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform complex arithmetic operations.
- Analytical, problem-solving and creative-thinking skills with respect to computer-related issues.
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School diploma.
- Related college or technical school coursework.
- Documented training in computer hardware, software and network use, troubleshooting and repair.
- A+ certification and networking certifications preferred.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
Significant successful related experience in computer and network installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.