Library Media Specialist
In our District, we put students first. Our vision: all Camden students will attend a high quality school where they are valued, challenged, and prepared for college and careers that positively impact their community and the world. High quality schools have a great teacher in every classroom, are housed in safe, clean buildings equipped to meet the needs of 21st century learners, with the support of an efficient and effective Central Office. All this is possible only with the right team members in place, working together with partners and the community to provide all students the academic, social, and emotional supports needed to succeed in school and beyond. Read more here.
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested candidates to apply for the position of Library Media Specialist.
The Library Media Specialist will support the vision for Camden City School District by ensuring that all students in the district have access to high quality media as part of their learning. Reporting to the Chief Academic Officer, the Library Media Specialist works to ensure students are instructed in the use of books and libraries, and that they develop strong motives for, and a pertinent interest in, reading and the discovery of knowledge.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- New Jersey Educational Media Specialist Standard Certificate or Certificate of Eligibility.
- Prior experience teaching low-income students in an urban setting (strongly preferred)
- A valid driver's license as well as current insurance and vehicle with valid registration
- Required criminal history background check, physical and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To instruct students in library procedures and in techniques of using the library.
- To encourage maximum use of library facilities by students and teachers.
- To serve as a resource person for the recommendation and distribution of instructional materials to teachers.
- To coordinate learning activities in classrooms with library materials, resources, books, films, etc., and to suggest to teachers methods of supplementing these activities.
- To arrange time schedules so that all students will have access to the library and its resources.
- To catalog, store, and distribute all materials used in libraries.
- To consult with teachers and principals to order new materials and books for the libraries
- To oversee the maintenance of all library books, catalogs, supplies, and materials in approved form.
- To develop storytelling sessions and other activities for students.
- Collaborate with teachers and staff to develop curricular content that integrates library media and technology skills.
- Build and maintain expertise in a wide range of resources and technology, and in the assessing of those materials.
- Guide and assist students and staff in the use of new media and technologies.
- Offer and promote ongoing staff development related to the integration of information technology and the use of information literacy.
- To perform other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Academic Officer
An ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate the following and/or have experience with:
- A commitment to the success of all Camden students, specifically to raising the academic achievement of children in high-poverty communities
- An unwavering commitment to ensuring all students leave school with the skills necessary to succeed in life and further education and/or training
- A genuine belief that all students can achieve at high levels when they have access to high quality instruction and resources
- A drive to improve the minds and characters of students inside and outside of school
- A desire to grow professionally and seek out new opportunities to learn
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- An ability to successfully differentiate resources in order to meet the needs of all students, including those who are classified as Special Education or English Language Learners
- Evidence of self-motivation
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment
- A willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- An ability to demonstrate the qualities of flexibility and grit through past experiences
We are seeking individuals who will exemplify the district's core values:
- Respect and Humility: We serve our community by recognizing the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others. We humbly recognize our own limitations and incorporate lessons we gain from our reflective practice.
- Evidence-based: We use evidence to inform decisions and to ensure that we are accountable to our students and families.
- Communication & Collaboration: We communicate openly and work collaboratively, recognizing that getting to the best possible decisions requires input from others. Honest communications build trust and establish a community that assumes best intentions.
- Solutions-oriented: With respect for the complexity of this work and the history that precedes us, we focus on persistence, resourcefulness, and inclusiveness to drive toward solutions.
- Reports To: Chief Academic Officer
- Evaluated By: Chief Academic Officer
- Salary Range: Teacher's Salary Guide
- Employment Period: Twelve-month, tenureable position
- Union Affiliation: Camden Education Associate (CEA)
THE CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent’s approval)
- Full medical, dental, prescription and vision coverage, including spouse, child and family coverage
- Mandatory enrollment in NJ Pension (TPAF)
- Optional pre-tax benefits available, including flexible spending accounts for childcare, healthcare and transportation
Starting Minimum Salary: $54,272
Starting Maximun Salary: $89,972