NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEÓN, SUPERINTENDENT
SCHOOL MEDIA SPECIALIST
(Pending Availability of Funds and Board of Education Approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of School Media Specialist – Various Locations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
2. New Jersey Department of Education School Media Specialist or Associate School Media Specialist
DEFINITION: To select, order and organize print and non-print materials for the library media center that will reinforce the curriculum: to instruct students in the use of the library as a source of knowledge, enjoyment and inspiration, and to work with teachers in the development of library media programs to satisfy their classroom needs.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. To instruct students in the use of the library media center and help them select print and non-print
materials that relate to their interests and to the curriculum.
2. To plan, schedule, manage and evaluate the library media center operations.
3. To select, order and organize the library media center’s print and non-print materials.
4. To maintain and report at required intervals accurate statistical data; and generate as required library media orders and professional reports.
5. To provide reference service, prepare bibliographies and develop curriculum support materials for
the teaching and administrative staff.
6. To encourage and motivate students and teachers to appreciate books and reading through
storytelling, book talks and reading guidance.
7. To assist with staff development through in-service workshops or other techniques to familiarize
the teaching staff with the materials in the media center.
8. To involve the teaching staff in continued utilization of the media center so that it becomes
an integral part of the regular school program.
9. To develop a program for students and teachers of operational skills for the audiovisual equipment
in the school.
10. To coordinate and cooperate with the Audiovisual Center and community resources such as the
Newark Public Library, the Newark Museum, the New Jersey Historical Society; etc.
REPORT TO: PRINCIPAL
SALARY, TERMS, & AFFILIATED;
1. *Salary Range: $55,000 to $103,091
2. Employment Period: Ten (10) Months
3. Union affiliation: Newark Teacher’s Union (NTU)
*Salary subject to change pending NTU contract negotiations.
HOW TO APPLY:
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications. If you are a current employee, you must apply via the Employee Self Service website.
If you do not have access to a computer, we welcome you to visit the Newark Board of Education employment kiosks located at 765 Broad St, on 2nd floor, Human Resources reception area between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. Help will be available.
OPEN AND CLOSED DATES:
OPENING DATE: June 8, 2021
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
JOB ID: 625
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER