Empowerment Academy is hiring an Academic Dean for our Upper Elementary/Middle School to begin ASAP. You will oversee Middle School Teachers, with a focus on ELA and Social Studies. Apply today at https://apply.workable.com/empowerment-academyand-beloved-community-charter-schools/j/CD66AB2244/
Empowerment Academy Charter School is a high-performing, college preparatory charter school in culturally vibrant Jersey City, located just minutes by subway from New York City, Hoboken and Newark. It has 120 students per grade level and is divided into a Primary, Upper Elementary and Middle School “academy.” Its high school will open in 2023.
Each Empowerment academy is led by an “Academic Dean”. We use the Academic Dean title because Principal certification, while desired in candidates for this leadership position, is not required. Most important to us is expertise, experience and demonstrated effectiveness professionally developing teachers, both individually and as a team.
We have other school leaders who focus on administration and operations management. We want our Academic Deans to be focused on developing their academy’s cadre of teachers, and through them, the effectiveness of our instructional program.
If you have the expertise, experience and effectiveness we are looking for and want to help lead a cutting-edge education program serving a student body that is among the most economically and ethnically diverse in America, then apply today!
We truly value our faculty and work hard to control other costs so we can focus our resources on supporting them. In fact, throughout our history, we have annually increased faculty salaries by far more than at other public schools and now, among those with similar experience, OUR FACULTY MEMBERS ARE AMONG THE HIGHEST PAID IN NEW JERSEY.
Salary - $85,000-$120,000
Academy and Schoolwide Leadership
Academic Deans are members of Empowerment Academy’s K-12 instructional leadership team and report to the schoolwide Director of Education (Head Principal) and Executive Officer (Superintendent).
Teacher Hiring, Induction and Certification Oversight
Academic Deans are centrally involved in teacher interviewing, hiring and induction and oversee teacher certification at their academy.
Teacher Professional Development, Coaching, Support and Evaluation
Academic Deans are expected to:
- Oversee teacher professional development in classroom management, data-driven instructional planning, the creation of effective lesson plans, the delivery of engaging and effective instruction, and in the effective use of technology and learning programs;
- Periodically meet one-on-one with academy teachers throughout the school year to review and guide the periodic revision of their Personal Professional Development Plans;
- Provide observation and feedback, as well as real-time coaching and instructional modeling for academy teachers;
- Ensure teachers and students are receiving the support they need from other instructional and student professionals; and
- Work with the school wide Director of Education (Head Principal) in the evaluation of teachers.
Grade Level and/or Academic Subject Head Teacher Training in Assessment Data Analysis and Professional Learning Community Leadership
It is important that Academic Deans are expert and effective at coaching grade level “Head Teachers” or academic subject “Department Chairs” in how to conduct effective Professional Learning Community meetings with their grade level or department peers -- meetings that focus upon the kind of “test-in-hand” data analysis that:
- Goes beyond what scholars got wrong to why scholars got it wrong;
- Facilitates teachers taking responsibility for (either individually or as part of a team) successfully addressing their scholars’ learning challenges; and that
- Develops teachers’ ability to effectively use data to drive high quality instructional planning.
When requested by an academy teacher or as otherwise appropriate, the Dean will be expected to meet with the parents/guardians of a scholar.