Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing, public charter schools providing an outstanding K-12 education in historically under-resourced communities. We have proudly built schools that reflect our student population, with more than 60% of our teachers and staff across our network identifying as a person of color. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 21,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We are proud that Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at five times the rate of their peers nationally. We achieve this by offering strong academic, co-curricular, and social-emotional learning that prepares students for success in college and beyond.
North Star Academy currently manages fourteen schools in Newark, NJ serving students in grades K through 12. We believe in strong authentic relationships between teachers and students, supported by effective school systems and an engaging instructional model that enables students to flourish academically and personally. North Star Academy is NJ's #1 highest performing public charter school and has served Newark families for over 20 years.
Uncommon Middle School Math teachers work in grade level teams to help students grow towards being self-guided learners. At the heart of all math classes is a deep joy for mathematics, and our teachers work hard to refine their own mastery of the subject. Math teachers use a variety of instructional strategies to cultivate the skills and the mindset required to persevere and solve problems. At the conclusion of eighth grade, students are prepared for the academic autonomy and college preparatory focus of our high schools.
- You'll teach foundational middle school math principles such as ratio/proportions, expressions/equations, the number system, and more!
- You’ll use our in-house CCSS-based Math curriculum and culturally responsive problem-solving activities.
- You'll motivate students to grapple with problems and think critically about all the different possible paths to solving them.
- You'll use your love of mathematics to foster confidence and meaningful engagement with the subject for students.
2. Data Analysis
- You'll meet weekly with your principal and/or instructional coach to analyze and respond to trends in student work samples and assessments.
- You'll learn and implement strategies to differentiate instruction for all learners in your classroom.
3. School Culture
- You’ll build positive relationships with students to ensure they feel seen, loved, and heard.
- You’ll partner with students’ families to ensure appropriate resources are available to support their child's learning needs.
- You'll engage in practice-based professional development, mentorship, and coaching sessions.
- You'll participate in weekly, school-wide meetings to cultivate community, model our core values, and encourage student achievement.
- You'll partner with your grade level team to develop academic goals and practice instructional strategies.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building an exceptional team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. We also strive to ensure an inclusive community by creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We also ensure that individuals with disabilities receive all privileges and benefits associated with employment and are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview process and to perform core job functions.