NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEÓN, DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT
DEPARTMENT CHAIRPERSON- ENGLISH
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent’s approval)
The District Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Department Chairperson- English.
Bring your content expertise to an environment that encourages creative pedagogical practices. As a Department Chair, you can expect to infuse cutting edge intellectual practices into the curriculum and equip our teachers and students to grapple with the latest concepts and practices in your content area.
The Newark Board of Education has an incredible opportunity to transform the school system into one that ensures that all of its students graduate to succeed in the college or career of their choice.
We need leaders who:
- Believe all students can achieve at high levels
- Grow diverse teams
- Are reflective and actively seek opportunities to grow
- Innovate the previously unthinkable
- Effectively communicate with others
- Treat all people with respect and dignity
- Know their content and get things done
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- New Jersey Department of Education Supervisor Certificate, OR New Jersey Department of Education Standard Principal Certificate.
- New Jersey Department of Education Certificate in Supervisor (0106) OR 0200 Principal Standard (0200).
- Minimum of three (3) years successful experience in teaching the related content area or related experience.
- Knowledge of New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards for curriculum, assessment and instruction.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitates the growth and development of teachers working collaboratively with peers.
- Assists teachers in alignment, articulation, integration, and implementation of curriculum through and across grade levels.
- Teaches demonstration lessons in classrooms and serves as a peer coach and mentor for staff in reciprocal relationships.
- Provides teachers the opportunity to develop effective instructional techniques, strategies and professional behaviors.
- Assumes responsibility to attend and participate in ongoing professional development activities.
- Provides teachers with the opportunity to enhance knowledge of content and management skills.
- Analyzes and communicates student assessment data, and makes program recommendations based on the analysis of available data.
- Provides reports on the progress of program initiatives.
- Performs other duties consistent with specific contractual terms of employment as assigned by the Principal.
- Monitors implementation of the school district’s approved content program in accordance with the needs of students.
- Assumes responsibility to attend and participate in in-service workshops.
- Assists the classroom teacher and teacher aides in the creative use of new technological equipment and supplementary materials.
REPORTS TO: PRINCIPAL
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
*Salary may be subject to change pending contract negotiations
- Salary Range: $92,00- $132,344
- Employment Period: Eleven (11) Months
- Union Affiliation: CASA
How to Apply
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications.
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER