The Superintendent invites qualified and interested candidates to apply for the position of School Psychologist.
The School Psychologist in Camden City School District will work to identify students in need of behavioral health services and implement individualized support and interventions at the school-based level. This role is a great opportunity to provide outstanding support to students in need of additional services to ensure that they receive an excellent education in the classroom. Through this role, the School Psychologist will assess and identify students eligible for behavioral services, develop and implement appropriate individualized programs for identified students, and function as an integral member of the Child Study Team in order to positively impact the academic goals of all students in Camden.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university AND hold a New Jersey School Psychologist Standard Certificate
OR Master’s Degree in Psychology or its equivalent from an accredited college or university AND hold a New Jersey School Psychologist Emergency Certificate
- Strong communication skills and basic computer literacy (including comfort and familiarity with email and the Microsoft Office suite)
- Demonstrated experience working with students in low-income, underserved communities (preferred at school level)
- Preferred knowledge of the Camden community
- Understanding of the New Jersey law as it pertains to NJAC 6A:14 Special Education
- Preferred fluency in Spanish and/or another language that aligns with the needs of CCSD students and families
- A valid driver’s license as well as current insurance and vehicle with valid registration
- Required criminal history background check, physical and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Major roles and responsibilities include:
- Identify and help provide solutions for behavior and/or learning issues in order to maximize student achievement
- Provide counseling, instructional support for students managing emotional, behavioral or social challenges
- Help promote campus wide initiatives that support overall wellness through the implementation of strong communication skills, problem solving, anger management, self-regulation, etc.
- Actively participate as a member of the Special Services Child Study Team in evaluating, classifying, recommending and implementing programs for students in need
- Consult with other district personnel, e.g., principals, social workers, learning disabilities consultants, counselors, teachers, etc. regarding student’s behaviors and needs
- Assist classroom teachers and principals in identifying behavioral health problems through observation, assessment and development of Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Consult with teachers to provide behavioral interventions and create Behavioral Intervention Plans (BIPs)
- Review all student records and skill areas, conferring with classroom teachers and observing students in the classroom setting as per mandate
- Participate in the development of the evaluation plan with Child Study Team as appropriate or required
- Consult with parents concerning counseling/behavioral needs, pre-referral intervention, special class placement, referral to outside agencies for students
- Consult with school personnel and parents on student needs when requested or appropriate to assist in development of classroom intervention and follow-up in the home
- Maintain all records for students on his/her case management list in order and ensure they are completed within the mandated time frame, reviewing and updating at regular intervals
- Participate in the development of IEP’s for all assigned students
- Perform of all duties related to mandated behavioral health support as assigned by school Principal
- Perform psycho-educational evaluations
- Attend and participate in Back to School Night, report card nights, and parent-teacher conferences
- Will be required to support projects and initiatives in other divisions and departments throughout CCSD on an as-needed basis
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Supervisor’s designee
An ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate the following and/or have experiences with:
- A commitment to the success of all Camden students; specifically to providing rigorous comprehensive support services to under-performing students
- Demonstrated experience successfully implementing school-based intervention services, especially in the Camden community
- Demonstrated experience tracking progress toward and meeting rigorous goals in low-income communities
- An ability to motivate and inspire others through exemplary oral and written communication skills
- An ability to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment
- Commitment to providing exemplary, responsive and high quality customer service to students, parents, and school staff
- A desire to grow professionally and seek out new opportunities to learn
- A willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- An ability to demonstrate the qualities of flexibility, zest, grit, hope and gratitude through past experiences
We are seeking individuals who will exemplify the district’s core values:
Respect and Humility
We serve our community by recognizing the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others. We humbly recognize our own limitations and incorporate lessons we gain from our reflective practice.
We use evidence to inform decisions and to ensure that we are accountable to our students and families.
Communication & Collaboration
We communicate openly and work collaboratively, recognizing that getting to the best possible decisions requires input from others. Honest communications build trust and establish a community that assumes best intentions.
With respect for the complexity of this work and the history that precedes us, we focus on persistence, resourcefulness, and inclusiveness to drive toward solutions.
- Supervisor, Special Education Compliance & Data or designee and Principal(s)
- Supervisor, Special Education Compliance & Data or designee
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
- Camden City Federation of School Psychologist Salary Guide
- Ten-month, tenureable position
- Camden City Federation of School Psychologists
THE CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER