Passionate about education? Ready to make a real difference? Join Eden’s team as a Lead Special Education Teacher, educating high school students with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
At Eden Autism Services, our Lead Teachers work alongside some of the best teaching assistants, therapists, support staff, and behavior analysts to create and oversee the education and behavior reduction programs for each student.
Teaching and Behavior Management
- Oversee implementation of Individual Education Plans (IEP) for teaching and behavioral goals using an ABA model appropriately and consistently.
- Identify and manage maladaptive behaviors including tantrums, self-injury, and aggression; maintain data collection to measure effectiveness of programs.
- Develop and implement age-appropriate reinforcement systems.
- Review teaching and behavior data for progress and troubleshooting
Evaluation and Program Development
- Develop and maintain students’ IEPs; attend and present at IEP meetings.
- Conduct student assessments
- Facilitate student transitions to other programs, both internal and external to Eden
- Write quarterly progress reports; review and edit program reports.
- Oversee teaching assistants assigned to the classroom
- Provide training and feedback to classroom staff (both formal and informal)
- Monitor student health and wellbeing.
- Maintain classroom materials and program upkeep.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings; Participate in monthly Lead Teacher meetings and weekly meetings with supervisor.
- Maintain daily communication with families.
- Assist in parent training practicum during parent school visits, when appropriate.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and ensure confidentiality with regard to students, families, and staff.
(The responsibilities listed are representative and not all inclusive; other duties may be assigned by supervisor/s.)
- Master’s degree in Special Education or related field
- New Jersey certification in Special Education/Teacher of the Handicapped
- New Jersey certification in Elementary Education and Teacher of Students with Disabilities
- Lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
- Sit, stand, bend, squat, kneel, stretch, stoop, and/or reach above shoulder level for extended periods of time.
- Ability to move or be moved freely and quickly to ensure the safety of students at all times.
- Pass and maintain Professional Crisis Management (PCM) certification, including implementation of all strategies and techniques.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Competent in Applied Behavior Analysis; familiar with behavior and teaching methodologies.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, exercise independent judgement, and make appropriate decisions based on established policies and procedures.
What you’ll love about Eden:
- Benefits: Eden offers a well-rounded benefits package including medical and dental, life insurance, retirement savings, paid time off, and more.
- Growth: In addition to tuition assistance, we have many opportunities for team building and professional development.
- Core Values: Believe More + Do What it Takes + Work Together + Show Compassion + Be True