Greater Egg Harbor Regional High School District
Social Studies Teacher Leave Replacement
Grades 9 - 12
February 28, 2020 - June 5, 2020 or later
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' skills and appreciation of social issues/history. Motivate students to read a wide variety of publications to derive information, comprehend and critically assess the reading materials in a social or historical context.
- Develops and administers social studies education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Develops standards for critical analysis through group discussions on a variety of reading materials, including the mass media, and a wide range of literature.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs.
- Maintains familiarity with district and NJ State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
New Jersey State Certification in Social Studies required.
Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
The Board reserves the right to hire before the closing of this post.