TRENTON BOARD OF EDUCATION
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY TRAINER
- Graduation from high school or evidence of equivalent educational proficiency, preferably supplemented by college level courses.
- Five (5) years of experience driving a CDL Class ‘B’ school bus with P and S endorsements and no air brake restriction.
- Completion of a 40-hour school bus driver instructor training program and one year of transportation supervisory experience or industry 40-hour advanced instructor training equivalent.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations related to driver training and student safety.
- Knowledge of child safety program.
- Skill in operating a bus and troubleshooting minor problems.
- Ability to teach required subjects to obtain NJ school bus driver’s authorization.
- Ability to instruct CDL requirements.
- Ability to provide effective instruction in other categories (i.e. confidentiality and behavioral intervention strategies)
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Develop and maintain accurate driver training records.
- Evidence of effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Proficiency in basic computer and presentation skills.
- Basic knowledge of routing procedures and methods.
- Ability to read and interpret road maps.
- Knowledge of GPS tracking and camera surveillance software (i.e. Zonar, Synovia)
- Excellent driving record.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
REPORTS TO: Manager of Transportation Operations
Ensure compliance with State and Federal laws, rules, and regulations regarding school bus safety; conduct and evaluate the periodic training, retraining, in-service training, instructional programs in driving efficiency, proper use of emergency equipment; and the dissemination of industry best practices for avoiding accidents.
- Assist when requested with pre-interview and recommendation to train.
- Train and retrain as necessary all bus drivers and substitute bus drivers.
- Organize and present safety messages and child safety program to students.
- Organize and present monthly safety / in service meetings.
- Annually conduct on-the-road evaluations of all bus drivers.
- Evaluate School Bus Drivers candidates on their driving abilities.
- Work with vehicle maintenance personnel on possible driver training to avoid equipment abuse.
- Acts as a substitute driver as needed.
- Assists in checking bus stop and routes for safety.
- Remain on-call for responding to bus accidents if needed.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Manager of Transportation Operations.
- Respond to accidents as instructed by the transportation manager and assist with the investigation.
- Ensure state required paperwork is properly filled out and filed in timely manner.
|Twelve (12) Months
||In accordance with B&T contract
|Performance of the position will be in accordance with the Board’s policies and procedures on evaluation.