NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEÓN, DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT
Supervisor of Information Technology Help Desk
Office of Information Services
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Supervisor Information Technology Help Desk within the Office of Information Services.
This title is governed by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission; meaning that if you are the successful candidate for this position, you will be placed as a provisional employee. At a later date you will be required to take an examination administered by the Civil Service Commission. Candidates must score and rank high enough on this examination in order to remain in the position as a permanent employee.
NOTE: An Associate’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology may be substituted for the Bachelor's degree indicated above. A Bachelor's or Master degree in Computer Science or Information Technology may be substituted for one (1) year of non-lead experience.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree.
- Four (4) years of experience in an Information Technology operational unit of a public or private information processing facility, including at least three (3) years of experience with an information technology help desk or operational support unit supporting a multiplatform Client/Server LAN or WAN environment and/or Mainframe operation, one (1) year of which shall have been in a lead capacity.
SPECIAL NOTE - SUBSTITUTING EXPERIENCE FOR EDUCATION:
Experience in the study of work methods and processes, the analysis of varied types of data, the design and preparation of systems and programs, the operation of multi-programming computer systems and work in the Information processing support areas of input/output control, scheduling, or reliability support may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis.
Any formal information technology training by any organization may be submitted for consideration and evaluation as possibly being equated to a specific number of college credits. The Department of Personnel will review the course content and all the other factors involved, and make a determination.
LICENSE: Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
Under direction in a state department, agency, institution, or local jurisdiction, supervises staff and monitors help desk support operations providing hardware and software support to end-users; supervises the implementation and maintenance of desktop operating systems, applications, and hardware; directs problem diagnosis and resolution; consults with network management and systems programming staff for problem diagnosis, assistance and resolution; and provides technical support and guidance to end-users and to other units within the organization; does related work as required.
- Supervises the Information Technology help desk support operation; provides guidance to help desk and desktop technical personnel in the provision of support to end users.
- Supervises and, as required, resolves complex technical hardware/software problems; consults with the Network operations and Systems Programming staff for assistance with the resolution of more difficult problems.
- Supervises the installation and maintenance of desktop hardware, software and peripheral devices.
- Oversees the delivery of technical help desk support efforts including request, receipt, prioritization, assignment, documentation and resolution.
- Coordinates and executes the process of maintaining daily logs and equipment/system malfunction reports.
- Maintains operational control and provides technical expertise to assigned technical personnel on desktop hardware, operating systems and applications, utilities, peripherals, and communication protocols.
- Supervises the analysis, diagnosis, troubleshooting, and documentation of problems reported by end users.
- Provides technical support and assistance to other areas within the assigned agency on problems dealing with operating systems, hardware, utility programs, communications hardware and software.
- Answers inquiries from system users; explains systems functions and provides technical assistance in the use and application of system features.
- Identifies and resolves network problems.
- Provides technical assistance to other units in the testing and debugging of application systems and programs.
- Maintains help desk knowledge base with current and appropriate solutions.
- Evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of the help desk services provided to end users.
- Assists in the technical evaluations, performance analyses, and implementation of applications, systems and data communication software.
- Maintains an awareness of state-of-the-art developments in hardware and vendor supplied software; maintains contact with vendor and professional societies.
- Supervises the work operations and/or functional programs and has responsibility for employee evaluations, and for effectively recommending the hiring, firing, promoting, demoting and/or disciplining employees.
- Responsible for the ongoing development of employees assigned through the identification of training needs, development of training plans, evaluations of effectiveness of training, and through the development and implementation of on-the-job employee development strategies.
- Implements training priorities to ensure unit employees maintain current technical/customer service skill set.
- Prepares clear, accurate and concise technical reports including findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of computer systems hardware and peripheral equipment.
- Knowledge of desktop applications and utilities.
- Knowledge of three-tier architecture.
- Knowledge of special vendor or client/server productivity aid packages.
- Knowledge of facilities generally provided by operating systems software associated with multi-programmed and multi-process oriented computer systems.
- Knowledge of voice/data communications network equipment and software.
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of Information Technology operations, policies and objectives.
- Ability to supervise, motivate, and evaluate the performance of a staff of subordinates assigned to the unit.
- Ability to use various Information Technology analytical and productivity aids.
- Ability to analyze operating system reports and memory dumps.
- Ability to prepare clear, accurate, and concise technical reports.
- Ability to work effectively with various levels of agency personnel.
- Ability to coordinate staff training required.
- Ability to maintain essential records and files.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable form of communication.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Director, Information Services
Salary, Terms & Affiliation
*Tier 2 $49,000 - $54,000
- Salary: Tier 1 $59,933 - $83,163
2.Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
3. Union Affiliation: Local 32
* Employees hired after July 1, 2010 shall be paid on the Tier 2 salary scale.
How To Apply
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications.
Open and Close Dates
Opening Date: October 9, 2019
Closing Date: Until Filled
Equal Employment Opportunity
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER