In our District, we put students first. Our vision: all Camden students will attend a high quality school where they are valued, challenged, and prepared for college and careers that positively impact their community and the world. High quality schools have a great teacher in every classroom, are housed in safe, clean buildings equipped to meet the needs of 21st century learners, with the support of an efficient and effective Central Office. All this is possible only with the right team members in place, working together with partners and the community to provide all students the academic, social, and emotional supports needed to succeed in school and beyond. Read more here.
The Bus Driver operates a school bus to provide transportation to students (1) on a regularly scheduled route, (2) to and from school sites during the school day and (3) after school hours, and on school-sponsored field trip.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have a driving record "in good standing" for the last 3 years (via driver's abstract)
- Must have a Commercial Driver’s License issued by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, with Passenger and School Bus Endorsements
- Required criminal history background check, physical and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
- A valid NJ Driver's license
- Ability to lift at least 20 lbs
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Major roles and responsibilities include:
- Safely transporting student passengers in a safe, courteous and reliable manner
- Assisting in the boarding of passengers in wheel chairs
- Perform assigned runs as designed by Transportation manager
- Perform daily safety and maintenance inspections as required
- Clean and maintain vehicle on a daily basis
- Maintain discipline, safety, and responsible leadership at all times
- Train students on emergency procedures
- Meet with parents, principals, and Transportation Supervisor when required
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned
An ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate the following and/or have experiences with:
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- the principles, methods and procedures governing the operation of school buses and trucks.
- the traffic laws of the State of New Jersey
- the geography of the city and current traffic conditions.
- requirements to operate a motor vehicle having an automatic transmission.
- performing light manual tasks if required by work assignment.
- industry standards in transportation safety.
Demonstrated ability to:
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
We are seeking individuals who will exemplify the District’s core values:
Respect and Humility
We serve our community by recognizing the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others. We humbly recognize our own limitations and incorporate lessons we gain from our reflective practice.
We use evidence to inform decisions and to ensure that we are accountable to our students and families.
Communication & Collaboration
We communicate openly and work collaboratively, recognizing that getting to the best possible decisions requires input from others. Honest communications build trust and establish a community that assumes best intentions.
With respect for the complexity of this work and the history that precedes us, we focus on persistence, resourcefulness, and inclusiveness to drive toward solutions.
REPORTS TO & EVALUATED BY
- Senior Manager, Driver Support
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
- $50,050 (starting salary)
- 12 month, non-tenurable position
- Camden Education Association
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent’s approval)
THE CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER