Middle School Science Teacher
PURPOSE: This position is a highly visible one. The position of Middle School Science Teacher requires a commitment to students, excellence, and a relentless drive to achieve extraordinary results. The Middle School Science Teacher position was established for the purpose/s of providing support to the instructional process by serving as a teacher with specific responsibility for supervising students within the classroom and laboratory setting; developing lesson plans and delivering group and individual student instruction within established curriculum guidelines; collaborating with other teachers; other professional staff, and administration in addressing instructional and/or classroom issues.
REPORTS TO: Principal or his/her designee
? Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
? Meet professional teacher education requirements of school, district, and state.
? NJ Certification(s)
? Knowledge of relevant technology.
? Relevant teaching experience.
? Hold a New Jersey instructional certificate in accordance with the requirements of N.J.S.A. 18A:27.1 and N.J.A.C. Title 6 Chapter 11 with appropriate special education endorsement (N.J.A.C. 6:11-8.3) and other endorsements for the position held (N.J.A.C. 6:11-6.1, 6.2, or 8.1 et seq.)
? Exhibits a personality that demonstrates enthusiasm and interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents, and the community.
? Provide proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
? Provide evidence that health is adequate to fulfill the job functions and responsibilities with reasonable accommodation pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 12101 and in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6:3-4A.4.
? Pass the State required Mantoux Intradermal Tuberculin Test as required by N.J.A.C. 6:3-4A.4.
? Provide evidence that a criminal record history check has been conducted and clearance has been given by the Department of Education, or, during the initial six month period provide a sworn statement that the individual has not been convicted of a crime or a disorderly person’s offense in accordance with 18A:6-7.1.
? Ability to maintain a positive learning environment.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand the school’s and state’s requirements to teach science to middle school students and create corresponding curriculum.
- Develops and maintains a classroom environment conducive to effective learning within the limits of the resources provided by the NHCCS.
- Modify teaching plans according to varying needs of students.
- Prepares, sets-up and cleans-up science lab activities.
- Prepares and administers subject/topical specific tests and labs to measure student abilities and progress
- Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning the academic and behavioral progress of their students through conferences, written messages, telephone calls and/or e-mail.
- Supervises students in hallways before, after and between classes.
- Takes all responsible precautions to provide for health and safety of the students and to protect equipment, materials and facilities.
- Promptly reports any serious accident or illness affecting students in the teacher's charge or any incident which might affect the school, teachers or students therein
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Assess student progress towards learning targets, objectives, expectations, and/or goals for the purpose of providing feedback to students, parents and administration.
- Manage student behavior for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Demonstrate and differentiate methods required to perform classroom and/or subject specific assignments for the purpose of providing and effective program that addresses individual student requirements.
- Counsel students for the purposes of improving performance, health status, appropriate behavior, problem solving techniques and a variety of personal issues.
- Teaching according to the educational needs, abilities and achievement of the individual student and groups of students.
- Provide appropriate feedback on work.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
- Participate in department, school, district and parent meetings.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations.
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, harassment etc.) for the purpose of maintaining personal safety of students, providing a positive learning environment and adhering to state law and board policies
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments.
- Encourage parent and community involvement, obtain information for parents when requested, promptly return phone calls and answer emails.
- Perform other related duties as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a 10-month full-time position that is annually renewable in accordance to New Horizons Community approved policies and procedures. The typical work day is from 7:40 AM to 3:40 PM.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s policy.