Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
Job Title: Security Officer
Reports to: Lead Administrator / Principal
The Security Officer promotes attitudes of student responsibility and assists the Disciplinarian when necessary.
- Hold a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Have three (3) years of experience as a security officer and show evidence of successful experience working with students.
- Hold and maintain a valid driver’s license with no serious violations.
- Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative.
- Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community.
- Computer literate
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using proper grammar and vocabulary. Spanish a plus.
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status by completing Federal Form 1-9 in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
- Provide evidence that a criminal record history check has been conducted and clearance has been given by the Department of Education. During the initial six-month period provide a sworn statement that the individual has not been convicted of a crime or a disorderly person’s offense in accordance with 18A:6-7.1.
- Provide evidence that health is adequate to fulfill the job functions and responsibilities, with reasonable accommodation pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 12101 and in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6:3-4A.4.
- Pass the state required Mantoux Intradermal Tuberculin Test as required by N.J.A.C. 6:3-4A.4.
- Meet such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Bilingual/Spanish Speaking - Preferred
- SORA License - Preferred
Verification of Competency:
- Application and resume via Applitrack
- Required documentation outlined in the qualifications above.
- A minimum of three letter of reference from former employers, teachers, other professional sources.
- Employment interview.
The Security Officer shall be employed under the following terms:
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Contract term of ten (12) months to a year.
- Salary, benefits, leave time and conditions as specified in the Contractual Agreement.
- Conditions established by all laws and codes of the State, and all policies, rules and regulations established by the Board of Education (N.J.S.A. 18A:27-4 et. seq.).
- Patrol and monitor hallways, stairwells, toilet facilities, outside facilities, and other public and unsupervised places of the school to ensure the safety and well-being of students and staff and the security of the facility.
- Ensure a smooth traffic flow of students through the hallways, assisting students with on-time arrival to class and to assigned locations.
- Assist with supervision in the breakfast and lunch periods and with morning arrival and afternoon dismissal of students.
- Remove disruptive students from classes when needed.
- Assist the professional staff, police, and emergency personnel in handling emergencies or disruptive situations.
- Encourage and ensure that students wear appropriate AUL uniform.
- Greet and assist visitors with directions and secure proper identification.
- Challenge unauthorized visitors and escort them to exits.
- Report any discipline infractions, unauthorized visitors, and acts of vandalism to the Lead Administrator/Principal. Notify the building administration, police, and/or appropriate emergency personnel of any emergency, potentially dangerous, or unusual situations.
- Notify immediately appropriate personnel of evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or individuals appearing to be under the influence of alcohol, controlled substances, or anabolic steroids.
- Assist the Attendance Officer, School Nurse or members of the Child Study Team with home visits as needed.
- Participate in appropriate in-service and workshop programs.
- Promote student responsibility for behavior and attitude by serving as a role model and dressing and grooming professionally.
Job Functions and Responsibilities (cont’d):
- Display ethical and professional behavior in working with students, parents, school personnel, and outside agencies associated with the school.
- Protect confidentiality of records and information about staff, and use discretion when sharing any such information within legal confines.
- Adhere to federal statutes and regulations, New Jersey school law, construction codes, State Board of Education rules and regulations, Board policies and procedures, and contractual obligations.
- Perform any duties and responsibilities that are within the scope of employment, as assigned by their supervisor, and not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
- Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
- Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.