TITLE: Sheltered Instruction Specialist, Title III- Immigrant
- Valid New Jersey Bilingual and/or ESL
- Three (3) consecutive years of Bilingual/ESL teaching experience.
- Three (3) consecutive years of Bilingual/ESL curriculum writing.
- Proficient in a language other than English, preferably Spanish.
- Proficient in technology programs and platforms.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
REPORTS TO: Director of Bilingual and ESL Education
Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL K-4
Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL 5-8
Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL 9-12
- Assist Bilingual Self Contained, Bilingual ICS and ESL teachers, as well as assist the General Education teachers that have English Language Learners in their classes with sheltered instruction techniques.
- Plan and design training on Sheltered Instruction Strategies to assist English language learners to grasp academic content while developing language proficiency.
- Create and/or update professional development videos to train teachers in Sheltered Instruction.
- Provide instructional support to teachers, when necessary, regarding effective Sheltered Instruction strategies.
- Maintain relationship with external consultants.
- Monitor training for staff both in-house and via consultants.
- Work collaboratively with district and school personnel in developing staff development activities for ELLs at both the school and district level.
- Create and provide professional development on the various components of Sheltered Instruction for teachers and parents, as needed.
- Assist teachers in designing and delivering lessons that meet the diverse linguistic needs and academic of English language learners while using instructional techniques:
- Lesson Preparation
- Building Background
- Comprehensible Input
- Lesson Delivery
- Review & Assessment
- Job Embedded professional development.
- Implement and monitor progress of Sheltered Instruction training.
- Assist in the scheduling of students to ensure that students are placed with teachers that have been trained in Sheltered Instruction.
- Verify appropriate placements of ELLs.
- Expand instructional resources and strategies with a focus on students with interrupted formal education.
- Analyze, disaggregate data on ELL performance in order to inform instructional practice and support teaching and learning.
- Design and review curricula to include Sheltered instruction strategies.
- Train new teachers on curriculum, curriculum updates, best teaching practices, access to district technology, and protocols of the Bilingual & ESL Department.
- Assist the Bilingual and ESL department with federal and state requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Eleven (11) months; tenurable
Annual Evaluation: Evaluated by the Director of Bilingual and
ESL Education, consistent with statute,
code and collective negotiations agreement.
Date Approved: July 19, 2023
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-7.1 Criminal history record; employee in regular contact with pupils; grounds for disqualification from employment; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-10 Dismissal and reduction in compensation of persons under tenure in public school system
N.J.A.C. 18A:7F Comprehensive Education Improvement and Financing Act
N.J.S.A. 18A:16-2 Physical examinations; requirement
N.J.S.A. 18A:25-2 Authority over pupils
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-1 Citizenship of teachers, etc.
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-1.1 Residence requirement prohibited
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-2 Certificates required; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:27 Employment and contracts
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-3 No tenure for noncitizens
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-5 Tenure of teaching staff members
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-8 Notice of intention to resign required
N.J.S.A. 18A:37 Discipline of pupils
N.J.A.C. 6A:7 Managing for equality and equity in education
N.J.A.C. 6A:8 Standards and assessment
N.J.A.C. 6A:9 Professional licensure and standards See particularly:
N.J.A.C. 6A:9-3 Professional standards for teachers and school leaders
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B State board of examiners and certification
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-5 General certification policies
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8 Requirements for instructional certificate
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-9 Instructional certificates
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-11.3 Authorization
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-11.6 Supervisor
N.J.A.C. 6A:9-13 Acting administrators
N.J.A.C. 6A:9C-3 Required professional development for teachers and
N.J.A.C. 6A:14 Special education
N.J.A.C. 6A:16 Programs to support student development
N.J.A.C. 6A:17 Students at risk of not receiving a public education
N.J.A.C. 6A:30 Evaluation of the performance of school districts
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-6 School employee physical examinations Immigration Reform and
Control Act of 1986, 8 U.S.C.A. 1100 et seq.
Every Student Succeeds Act, Pub. L. 114-95, Title 1, 20 U.S.C.A. 6301 et seq.