K-8 independent public charter school in Newark, NJ is seeking qualified Technology Teacher. The position of Technology Teacher requires a commitment to students, excellence, and a relentless drive to achieve extraordinary results. The position of Technology Teacher is an important one at New Horizons Community Charter School. Ideal candidates will embody, advocate, and operationalize New Horizons Community Charter School’s mission and vision statements. The Technology Teacher position was established for the purpose of providing support to the instructional process by serving as a teacher with specific responsibility for supervising students within the classroom; developing lesson plans and delivering group and individual student instruction within established curriculum guidelines; collaborating with other teachers; other professional staff, and administration in addressing instructional and/or classroom issues. Under the general supervision of the Principal, the Technology Teacher shall plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in an elementary and secondary learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential.
- Must hold acceptable NJ Certification for the assignment
- Certification in Technology
- Knowledge of assigned area content and content-related pedagogy
- The ability to create and maintain a climate of respect and fairness for all students
- Must possess strong communication, managerial and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective principles of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a diverse school community.
- Ability to effectively motivate and assess students academically and socially.
- Ability to work as part of a highly functioning team.
- Required criminal background check and proof of US citizenship or legal alien status.
- Ability to work on site during the hours required.
- To develop and implement an instructional program within his/her classroom in a manner consistent with policies approved by the NJDOE and aligned to State mandates.
- High degree of knowledge of content-related pedagogy relating to the assignment.
- Plan and carry out classroom activities focusing attention on basic skills, key concepts and desirable attitudes and values which help the student develop important skills, increase personal competence and will stimulate him/her to be an ethical and sensitive human being.
- Organize and maintain a pleasant and stimulating classroom environment for learning which provides for individual differences.
- The ability to implement instruction and maintain an environment that recognizes and values diverse populations.
- The ability to effectively contribute to and manage an individual program plan for students with special needs.
- The ability to adapt curriculum to meet the varying rates, patterns and needs of all students including students who extend learning beyond designated outcomes.
- The ability to effectively utilize available technologies
- Confer with parents and students in a cooperative effort to understand the student and to encourage his/her progress.
- Take adequate measures to insure the health, safety and welfare of students.
- Continually appraise student progress using subjective and objective criteria for evaluation.
- Take part in curriculum planning to improve the educational program of the school and school system, devoting particular attention to the improvement of learning opportunities in his/her assignment.
- Develop a working relationship with all members of the faculty and other personnel assigned to the school.
- Be willing to participate in activities that increase one’s professional competence.
- Become acquainted with the resources of the community, keep informed of significant community affairs and maintain an awareness of the social, economic and cultural aspects of the community.
- Keep informed about school policies and procedures and assist in their development or, revision when the need arises.
- Keep prescribed records for such things as student attendance, evaluations, report cards, discipline records, and documents required by the School Board or Department of Education up to date, legible and accurate and make wise and discriminate use of such records.
- Be punctual and maintain regular in attendance at school and at prescribed school meetings.
- Join and support professional organizations to further their own development and that of the profession.
- Report and interpret to the student and his/her parents on a regular basis the student’s academic progress and achievement.
- Participate in decision making and sharing leadership functions within the framework of this job description.
- Assume other related responsibilities and duties within the context of the above major responsibilities and/or illustrations of key duties
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a 10-month full-time position that is annually renewable in accordance to New Horizons Community approved policies and procedures. The typical work day is from 7:40 AM to 3:40 PM.
COMPENSATION: Salary recommended by the Chief School Administrator and established by the Board of Trustees.
EVALUATION:Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s policy.