TEACHER OF MATHEMATICS
A Leader in Sustainability Education
Established in 2009 to inspire sustainability-focused leadership & education in Plainfield, the Barack Obama Green Charter High School is embarking on its 10th year of preparing students for environmental stewardship and success in college. New Jersey’s first sustainability-focused high school, Obama Green boasts a 100 percent college acceptance for graduating students and a talented faculty, staff and administrative team who collaboratively maintain the school’s track record for academic excellence. The curriculum is driven by Problem-Based Learning (PBL) which challenges students to investigate and resolve real-world problems, especially those which address environmental issues and help students appreciate the field of sustainability for college study and career options. BOGCHS is seeking talented and committed high school teachers to join our relentless effort to bridge our youth to college, engage students in complex problem solving, and advance sustainability awareness. This is an exciting opportunity for experienced teachers, career changers and recent college graduates who embrace messy, engaged, purposeful and relevant learning.
High School Math
The Barack Obama Green Charter High School faculty consists of inspiring, engaging, and dedicated leaders who advance the sustainability mission of the school, while closing the achievement gap and expanding opportunity for underserved youth in Plainfield. They achieve this through well-developed lesson plans and classroom activities, adeptness at building relationships with students and parents, and a personal commitment to their professional advancement and collegial success.
Math teachers at Obama Green Charter High School should be able to:
- Display broad knowledge of math concepts.
- Explain complicated math concepts with student-friendly accessibility
- Communicate to students the importance of gaining knowledge of mathematics and connect content to real-world situations, where applicable.
- Foster enthusiasm for mathematics, while promoting logical thinking and problem solving
- Leverage solved problems to accelerate student ability to apply strategies independently.
- Work to achieve Common Core State Standards and charter school educational goals and objectives by promoting active learning in the classroom.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Monitor pupil academic progress and personal growth toward stated objectives of instruction
- Establish and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a classroom climate conducive to learning.
- Supervise pupils in out-of-classroom activities as assigned.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to inform them about the school program and to discuss pupil progress.
- Makes effective use of community resources to enhance the instructional program.
- Cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and resolving learning problems.
- Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities.
- Participates in school-level planning, faculty meetings/committees and other school system groups.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
- Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
The successful candidate will hold at minimum a Bachelor’s degree, valid New Jersey Instructional Certificate and Subject Area Endorsement or eligibility. Candidates should possess demonstrated knowledge of subject specialty and effective teaching methods, along with the ability to maintain a positive learning environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are a must. An additional requirement includes a criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
You may use the APPLY button