- Valid license as a registered professional nurse in New Jersey.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- School nurse certificate in New Jersey.
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
- Current driver's license, for self transportation to complete nursing assignments.
The Medical Department & Reposrts to the Supervisor of Nurses and the Building Administrator
To serve as a health service specialist who assists pupils, staff and families in attaining and maintaining an optimum level of wellness and promotes positive health habits and attitudes. The Certified School Nurse practices within New Jersey law and the board's policies and administrative guidelines.
- Assess the physical well-being and growth and development of the pupil by screening for: vision, color perception, dental, hearing, blood pressure, height and weight, scoliosis and such other screening(s) as required by the Board of Education and the State of New Jersey.
- Coordinate and assist the school medical inspector with student physical examinations.
- Administer prescribed medications and/or treatments, when necessary for pupils to attend school, as established by the Board of Education and the State of New Jersey.
- Administer first aid to pupils and staff in accordance with Board of Education approved first aid procedures.
- Provide health counseling to pupils, parents and staff.
- Participate with the child study team in the identification, referrals and health appraisals for handicapped pupils.
- Provide special health care and related services to meet the needs of handicapped pupils as established by federal law.
- Maintain a comprehensive health services record system and complete all reports as established by the Board of Education and the State of New Jersey.
- Coordinate the health referral process and communicate health findings to appropriate persons and agencies.
- Maintain a current list of pupils with special health problems and communicate this information on a "need to know basis" to the appropriate staff.
- Determine a nursing diagnosis from data collected about the health and developmental status of the pupil.
- Identify pupils with special health needs and develop, implement, and evaluate individualized health care plans, within the scope of school health nursing practice.
- Implement and monitor immunization and communicable disease programs as established by the Board of Education and the State of New Jersey.
- Lecture to staff on communicable diseases and other health concerns as established by the Board of Education and the State of New Jersey.
Provide guidance for the maintenance of a school environment which is safe and sanitary and notify appropriate school personnel of identified safety hazards.
- Consults with staff regarding modification or changes of educational environment necessitated bv pupils' snecific health problems or develonmental status.
- Serve as a resource person in health education instruction for pupils and staff.
- Coordinate and implement school based testing program for tuberculosis infection as established by the Board of Education and the State of New Jersey.
- Provide a Safe environment for observation and care for students suspected of substance abuse and provide emergency medical assistance within the scope of school health nursing practice.
- Participate, when feasible, in school-based team meetings that addresses students' specialized health problems and needs.
- Assume responsibly for continuing education and professional development.
- Participate, when feasible, in the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and procedures for the district health service program in cooperation with the Chief Medical Inspector, Supervisor of Nurses, and school administrators.
- Perform other school health related tasks as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
||Ten (10) months position
||In accordance with the TEA contract.
||Hourly Salaried X
||Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with
the Board's policies and procedures on the evaluation of Business & Technical Contract personnel.