TITLE: ANTICIPATED FULL TIME GROUNDS WORKER
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS
RESPONSIBLE FOR: GROUNDS MAINTENANCE AND APPEARANCE
One (1) year of experience in the performance of semi skilled grounds
- Appointees may be required to obtain a NJ Certified Pesticide
- Applicator's or Operator's Permit in the required categories.
- Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
Under direction of a Buildings and Grounds Supervisor or other supervisory official, does tasks involved in the maintenance of grounds; does other related duties as required.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
- Takes the lead in work involved in the maintenance of institutional grounds.
- Prepares soil and the seeds, rolls, cuts, weeds, waters, trims lawns.
- Sprays, prunes, and trims orchards and shrubs.
- Plants, transplants, and thins trees and shrubs.
- Removes dirt, rubbish, snow, leaves and other refuse and assists in the maintenance of roads, lawns, shed, benches, and parking areas.
- Removes snow and/or direct operation of snow blowers, snow plows and salt spreaders.
- Sees that the non-cultivated areas are properly maintained.
- Sees that equipment, materials, and supplies including tractors, grass cutters, scythes, hoes, rakes, sprinklers, garden house, cultivators, spades, sheers, spraying devices, fertilizers, seeders, and other garden and grounds keeping equipment and tools are used properly.
- Prepares requisitions for equipment, materials, and supplies and ensures these are safeguarded, stored, used, and recorded.
- Reports unusual occurrences and significant conditions in the buildings and on the grounds, and takes those steps required to ensure safe, orderly conditions.
- May be required for short periods to perform assigned duties within buildings.
- May be required to undergo fire training classes.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of methods used to plan, lay out and perform lawn and grounds maintenance work.
- Ability to take the lead in the work involved in laying out flower beds and directing preparation of soil, planting of seeds, weeding and thinning of bedding stock, and production of flowers for cutting purposes.
- Ability to perform the tasks necessary for the propagation of trees, shrubbery, and perennial plants, and to direct the pruning of trees and shrubs, weeding, mowing of lawns, and trimming of hedges.
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials, tools, and supplies .
- Ability to recognize suspicious and/or dangerous situations and occurrences, and to take necessary measures to secure safe, orderly conditions.
- Ability to requisition, safeguard, store, and record equipment, tools, materials, and supplies.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of the position.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Twelve month year. Salary to be determined by Board of Education
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the board’s policy on evaluation of non-certified personnel.