QUALIFICATIONS: Certified by the State Board of Examiners in the State of New Jersey
REPORTS TO: Principal and/or his/her designee
JOB GOALS: To develop in each pupil skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing that are fundamental to good communication and literate citizenship; to develop appreciation of good literature of all types; to motivate pupils to read widely for information and recreation; to develop standards for critical judgment of written and oral communications transmitted by mass media; to discover and develop special talents of pupils in the field of English.
1. Teaches content and skills in Language Arts/Literacy, literature, composition, reading, and journalism to pupils, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs pupils in core content curriculum skills specified in state law, administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Adapts Language Arts/Literacy materials and methods to develop relevant assignments that guide and challenge pupils.
4. Encourages pupils to think independently and to express original ideas.
5. Assists pupils and other school staff in such activities as preparing material for the school newspaper or yearbook.
6. Fosters a classroom environment conducive to effective learning.
7. Adapts the curriculum to the needs of each pupil where appropriate.
8. Fosters standards of classroom behavior and self-discipline appropriate to learning.
9. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and approaches to meet the needs of all students.
10. Implements the district’s instructional goals and objectives established and approved by both local and State Boards of Education in accordance with regulation.
11. Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
12. Evaluates student progress on a regular basis during each marking period and maintains accurate records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
13. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior in compliance with school and district policy, needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom and building.
14. Attends and participates in faculty meetings and in-service trainings.
15. Cooperates in the development of a working relationship with all members of the school community.
16. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil’s progress and interpret the school program.
17. Participates in the development and revision of curriculum guides appropriate to one’s academic discipline.
18. Maintains a level of professional competence appropriate to the specific area of certification, assignment, and matters of general educational importance.
19. Performs other related professional duties as required.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.