English Language Arts Teacher (Grades 4 - 8)
Under the general supervision of the School Director, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Develops and administers middle school curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Maintains familiarity with district and New Jersey State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual small group instruction as needed.
- Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of iLearn Schools, Inc.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other middle school professional staff members, especially within grade level and specific subjects, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with district testing programs.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the School Director and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop preferred.
- Knowledge of guided reading and administering running records preferred.
- Knowledge of 6+1 traits of writing preferred.
- Knowledge of guided writing and conferencing preferred.
- Knowledge of effective anecdotal note keeping.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
- For grades 4 & 5, NJ Certification (K - 6) with a Background and/or Strong Desire to teach English Language Arts. For grades 6-8, must hold a NJ Certification with Subject Matter Specialization: Language Arts or Teacher of English.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters’ Degree preferred.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.