Certificated applicants must have an appropriate NJ Teaching Certificate issued by the State Board of Education (Technology Education Endorsement Code 1810 or Engineering Technology Endorsement Code 2545).
Alternate Route applicants must meet the NJ Department of Education course requirements including a 30-credit coherent sequence of study in courses that align with the technological literacy standards (STL) or hold a degree in Engineering from an accredited college or university.
Candidates must complete/have on file his/her criminal background check.
REPORTS TO: The Principal or an appropriately certificated designee.
JOB GOAL: The teacher is responsible for the instruction and supervision of students in accordance with standards established by the Board of Education.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten (10) Month Tenure Track Position for the 2022-2023 School Year
Approximate Start Date: September 1, 2022
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Teacher
- Shall employ a variety of teaching styles and techniques to provide an atmosphere designated to stimulate student learning.
- Shall assist the principal in the selection of teaching materials.
- Shall present a course of study which is consistent with the approved curriculum and the goals and objectives of the Board of Education.
- Shall develop educational programs to meet the needs of each student.
- Shall work, in consultation with the principal, other staff members, parents, district residents and pupils to develop:
- written educational plans for the school.
- written educational objectives and standards for the educational plan based upon district and school goals.
- written educational goals for the school.
- Shall demonstrate effective participation in the coordination of the instructional program between various grade levels and between elementary and secondary levels and sending districts.
- Shall work in consultation with the principal and other staff members in the development of procedures for reporting pupil progress to parents or guardians including:
- parent/teacher conferences
- report cards
- pupil progress charts
- parents’ visits to the school
- Shall demonstrate a willingness to confer with parents and/or other staff members concerning student progress.
- Shall work in consultation with the principal and other staff members concerning student progress.
- Shall demonstrate a willingness to develop a reasonable relationship with other members of the staff as well as administrators.
- Shall demonstrate a willingness to develop a positive interpersonal relationship with students.
- Shall make a reasonable effort to keep abreast of current educational developments particularly in the areas of subject matter content and methodology of teaching.
- Shall demonstrate a willingness to engage in the development of staff improvement programs and to participate in those programs which bear on the areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Shall develop reasonable rules for classroom behavior for students and shall make every effort to maintain order in the classroom.
- Shall demonstrate an ability to organize and structure the learning environment.
- Shall cooperate in the implementation and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations and board policies.
- Shall perform reasonable duties which may be necessary to ensure the proper functioning of the educational program of the district and which are incident to the position of teacher.
The Newton School District is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable federal, state and/or local equal opportunity laws. The Newton School District does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, age or any other status protected by applicable law.