NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEON, SUPERINTENDENT
Office of Special Education
(Pending availability of funds and Board´s approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Instructional Specialist for The Office of Special Education.
Newark Board of Education seeks an Instructional Specialist- Science to work with the NBOE Office of Teaching and Learning in supporting key initiatives and programs.
- Three to five or more years of experience with comparable work.
- Master’s degree in education or related field preferred.
- New Jersey Permanent Speech Language Specialist and Teacher of the Handicapped or equivalent from another state.
- Help implement strategic initiatives within the Office of Curricular Programs and particularly the district’s vision for science curriculum and instruction.
- Implement curriculum, instructional resources, and professional development in science.
- Assist in assessing the educational, financial, and managerial needs of schools and ways in which the Office of Curricular Programs can help meet these needs.
- Facilitate obtaining resources for school locations related to science curricular initiatives and curricular programs, tracking towards budgets.
- Collaborate with team members of the Assistant Superintendents, the Offices of Data & Policy, Special Education, Talent, and College and Career Readiness, and other NBOE divisions and departments to assist in developing programs and implement models designed to meet the goals of the Department of Curriculum & Instruction.
- Assist in vetting responses to Pre-Qualification Solicitations for materials and services.
- Support strategic partnerships with key community and philanthropic partners.
- Assist with planning and managing the implementation of the district’s summer school programs.
- Assist in developing and leading strategic partnerships with key internal and external partners to improve resource options for the district’s schools.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a track record of the following:
- Passionate belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- Deep knowledge of the research on effective policies, strategies, and resources promoting student achievement.
- Personal accountability for serving all students and ensuring their success.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to:
- Work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels, including but not limited to district personnel, students, families, communities, and/or advocacy groups.
- Solicit feedback while building consensus.
- Maintain positive relationships and build lasting coalitions of support.
- Skillfully navigate existing political structures/systems.
- Strong goal-orientation and focus on results, thrives in achievement-oriented and fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding critical thinking skills, including the ability to analyze data, identify trends, pinpoint problems and root causes, and develop innovative solutions.
- Excellent execution and project management skills, including ability to balance the big picture with detailed steps.
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD AND UNION AFFILIATION
- Salary: $61,500 - $112,695
- Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
- Union Affiliation: NTU
HOW TO APPLY
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications. If you are a current employee, you must apply via the Employee Self Service website.
OPENING DATE: May 24, 2021
CLOSING DATE: Until filed
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER