Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Employment Category: Full-time, Exempt 12 month position.
Offer Includes: Competitive Salary, Benefits, PTO and NJ DOE pension.
Requirements: Valid New Jersey Superintendent or Principal Certificate, with K-8 School and or District Leadership Experience.
General Duties: The Director of Curriculum and Instruction (DCI) will serve as a critical support and partner to the C.E.O at our school. The DCI will create a vision for high student achievement and work directly with district and campus based leaders to ensure that this vision is achieved. This will include creating a long term academic plan for curriculum (revisions), assessment, teacher professional development, and ongoing data analysis. You will lead and work directly with a team of principals, supervisors, assistant principals, and deans with a diverse range of instructional expertise and experience to ensure that our schools receive outstanding curricular support across grades K-8 and all subject areas. You will manage the overall scope of work as detailed in the long term academic plan throughout the year to ensure aligned systems, execution, and clear communication amongst teammates and to our campuses while rolling out district-wide initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading Academic Team meetings, contributing to strategic planning process as it relates to curricular-instructional decisions for the entire district, robust data analysis, data-driven decision-making, and direct management of supervisors.
- Conduct performance evaluations of teammates and set and monitor progress toward growth goals aligned to the Academic Team wide strategic priorities and benchmarks.
- Collaborate with Principals, Assistant Principals, and Supervisors on collecting, analyzing, and supporting school-based leaders’ response to student achievement data.
- Build and hold people accountable to systems that increase organizational efficiency and promote higher levels of student achievement.
- Unify the messaging and tools used to ensure the alignment of organizational vision for instruction.
- Bridge the gap between content areas (e.g. Math and Literacy) for templates, tools, and structures • Lead the charge on creation of the annual academic planning calendar and programmatic PD scope and sequence.
- Create processes and gather information that address the immediate needs of our organization or team and anticipate the future-facing needs of Cross-functional collaboration.
- Lead the Academic Team in creating and facilitating both teacher and school leader-facing professional development during the teacher pre-service, in-service days and during leader PD days.
- Create a process for the adoption of a new K-8 formative assessment tool for the district.
- Dotted line support and supervision of campus based assistant principals.
Coaching and Development:
- Observe and provide weekly, actionable feedback to instructional leaders.
- Organize professional development that is aligned to organizational goals and is responsive to individual needs. Including selection process for offsite teacher and leader professional development.
- Develop and monitor professional development plans that include job embedded opportunities to address growth areas.
- Lead process of leader norming for district teacher evaluation tool. Potentially lead district-wide committee for adoption of a new teacher evaluation tool for the 2020-21 school year.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of instructional programs.
- Lead process for Instructional Rounds at each campus with input and support from CEO. (Note charge will be given to improve the process and increase number of Instructional Rounds in the upcoming school year.)
- Collaborate with the C.E.O to finish instructional vision process.
- Implement the organization’s academic priorities and goals in collaboration with the instructional leadership team.
- Provide leadership and support on adopting research-proven pedagogy and standards-based instructional practices.
- Oversee hiring and retention of highly qualified staff who excel at meeting the academic and social-emotional needs of students.
- Lead Curriculum and Instruction Board Committee meetings.
- Participate and present with CEO at monthly Board of Trustee Committee Meetings.
- Co-lead and plan for all leadership retreats.
Assessment and Data Strategy:
- Review data with instructional leaders to identify strengths, growth areas and corresponding instructional action plans based on formal and informal assessments.
- Ensure student data is analyzed regularly and is used to inform lesson planning.
- Lead the process for administering assessments and disseminating assessment results to staff and families.