TITLE: BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS SUPERVISOR
- Educational Facilities Manager Certificate and Fireman's Black Seal License
- Experience in the maintenance of large buildings and large facilities. Knowledge of and aptitude for maintenance, basics of carpentry, plumbing, electric, H.V.A.C.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the activities of department staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of architecture, school construction, engineering, plant operation, maintenance and management, and school safety
- Required criminal history background check, proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, meets NJ Residency requirements
- Required physical examination, meeting standards outlined in the District Physical Examination Form.
REPORTS TO: School Business Administrator
SUPERVISES: All custodial, maintenance and groundskeeping staff.
JOB GOAL: To provide students and staff with a physical environment that is healthy,
safe, and efficiently operated.
- Responsible for maintaining all licenses related to the position.
- Examine school sites on a regular basis for needed repairs, maintenance, and cleanliness.
- Responsible for the organization of assignments and scheduling of all custodial and maintenance staff.
- Prepares and administers the budget for custodial supplies and equipment.
- Supervise and conduct the evaluation of non-certified staff.
- Establish and recommend priorities on repair projects.
- Estimate cost of repair projects in terms of labor, material and overhead.
- Assign and supervise crew of craftspeople for maintenance work and custodians for cleaning.
- Lay-out and inspect work and assist crew members.
- Develop an efficient system for dealing with emergency repair problems.
- Consult with building principals regarding the establishment and implementation of the preventative maintenance program.
- Recruit, screen and recommend for hiring all staff.
- Advise on the hiring of contractors to perform certain maintenance or repair services.
- Be readily available to the school district in the event of emergencies, snow removal, storm damage and/or vandalism.
- Provide periodic in-service workshops for all staff members.
- Act as liaison between various borough and township offices; e.g. Fire Department , Construction Office, and Board of Health.
- Serve as the district’s Right to Know contact, AHERA representative, Integrated Pest Management Coordinator (IPMC), Safety and Health Designee, Indoor Air Quality Designee, Chemical Hygiene Officer, and Asbestos Management Officer.
- Order materials as needed and make recommendations for purchase of supplies and equipment.
- Maintain a coordinated inventory.
- Implement and maintain guidelines for energy conservation.
- Develop a multi-year maintenance, staffing and technical assistance plan.
- Direct preparation of playing fields, grounds and other necessary facilities for athletics and other school activities.
- As per the employment agreement, any classes require prior approval of the Superintendent. If prior approval is not received the district will not be responsible for any tuition, fees, and/or stipends.
- Performs other duties as assigned for the efficient operation of the school district to increase the effectiveness and reduce costs to the ultimate benefit of the district.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Work year and salary to be determined by the board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of state law, administrative code and the board's policy on evaluation of employees.