2. Minimum experience as determined by the Board, and knowledge of computerized master schedule development desirable.
1. Valid New Jersey Educational Services Certificate and School Counselor Endorsement or eligibility.
3. Broad knowledge of testing and evaluation, theories of individual and group guidance techniques, elementary/secondary school guidance program design and career educational information and placement.
4.Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with students, parents, staff and community groups and organizations.
5. Required criminal history check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
6. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable.
Student Services Program Supervisor and Academy Administrator/Principal
To help students achieve personal fulfillment by providing them with guidance and counseling services to make successful personal, educational and occupational life plans. The guidance counselor must be able to move about the building, go up and down stairs and through classrooms.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Ten-month contractual position
Evaluated annually in writing by the Student Services Program Supervisor and Academy Administrator/Principal.
- Assists students in evaluating their aptitudes and abilities through the use of teacher comments, interpretation of individual standardized test scores, and other pertinent data. Works with students in evolving educational and career plans in terms of such evaluation.
- Maintains student records and ensures their confidentiality.
- Provides information and prepares recommendations to colleges for admissions and scholarships, as well as to potential employers and other agencies.
- Works closely with teachers, administrators, and other professional staff members, providing information and assistance where needed for the ultimate benefit of students.
- Maintains a close relationship with the child study team following directives and recommendations as needed.
- Works closely with and involves parents in planning students’ career plans, and assists in the resolution of school related problems.
- Assists in the organization and administration of standardized test programs.
- Registers students new to the school, provides orientation and information relative to school procedures, curriculum and extracurricular opportunities.
- Participates in follow-up studies of former students for the purpose of improving services and evaluating the effectiveness of the educational program being offered by the school.
- Works to prevent students from dropping out of school, and assists those that do in finding alternative educational programs and/or employment.
- Arranges for summer work and/or enrollment in summer school programs to make up noted deficiencies.
- Maintains a professional office environment.
- Assists in the evaluation of current curriculum offering and in the planning, selection, and implementation of new course offerings.
- Makes effective use of community resources in developing and expanding guidance services and activities.
- Provides for a smooth transition from elementary school to high school/middle school, which may include orientation programs for students and parents.
- Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities. Performs all other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor, the Superintendent of Schools or his designee.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION - EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER