Bring your energy and passion, and help us make a true difference in the lives of our students and their families! Join Eden’s team as a Special Education Teacher, educating high school students with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
At Eden Autism Services, our Special Education (Head) Teachers collaborate with an energetic and knowledgeable team of clinical and educational support staff to provide teaching and behavior reduction programs for each student. The Head Teacher supports the Lead Teacher through assistance with staff supervision, student goal selections, and assessments.
Teaching and Behavior Management
- In conjunction with Lead Teacher, develop and prepare curriculum, programs, and materials. Develop and implement effective schedules for each student.
- Assist in implementing Individual Education Program (IEP) behavior and educational goals using an ABA model appropriately and consistently. Conduct and participate in group activities utilizing the leader-prompter model; support staff members in supervising students on all activities. Provide coverage for students during staff absences, PE groups, and community outings.
- Identify and manage maladaptive behaviors including tantrums, self-injury, and aggression. Assist Lead Teacher with functional analysis of behavior. Develop and implement age appropriate reinforcement menu and system.
- Record and measure effectiveness of programs and mastery level by collecting data and maintaining graphs for all programs.
- With assistance of the Home Consultant or supervisor, attend and participate in home visits. Help identify needs or problem areas in the home, and prescribe programs appropriate to the home setting.
Evaluation and Report Writing
- Maintain daily student attendance.
- Analyze and determine program progress; assist in troubleshooting problem areas. Perform reliability checks on students’ behavior reduction programs.
- Assist Lead Teacher in review of quarterly student progress reports and summaries. Assist with IEP reviews for each student, and participate in IEP meetings as needed.
Communication and Training
- Attend and participate in weekly staff and supervisory meetings. Attend in-service trainings provided throughout the year.
- Assist Lead Teacher with training for classroom staff. Serve as mentor to new classroom staff as needed.
- Build collaborative relationships with all staff members, providing timely feedback as needed. Conduct monthly classroom discussion groups.
- Maintain professional demeanor and ensure confidentiality with regard to students, families, and staff.
- Assist in parent training practicum during school visits, when appropriate.
(The responsibilities listed are representative and not all inclusive; other duties may be assigned by supervisor/s.)
- Bachelor’s degree in special education or related field
- New Jersey Certification in Special Education/Teacher of the Handicapped
- New Jersey Certification in Elementary Education and Teacher of Students with Disabilities.
- Lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
- Sit, stand, bend, squat, kneel, stretch, stoop, and/or reach above shoulder level for extended periods of time.
- Ability to move or be moved freely and quickly to ensure the safety of students at all times.
- Pass and maintain Professional Crisis Management (PCM) certification, including implementation of all strategies and techniques.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Competent in Applied Behavior Analysis; familiar with behavior and teaching methodologies.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, exercise independent judgement, and make appropriate decisions based on established policies and procedures.
What you’ll love about Eden:
- Benefits: Eden offers a well-rounded benefits package including medical and dental, life insurance, retirement savings, paid time off, and more.
- Growth: In addition to tuition assistance, we have many opportunities for team building and professional development.
- Core Values: Believe More + Do What it Takes + Work Together + Show Compassion + Be True