School Nurse - Anticipated Opening
To promote health and safety in the school environment and provide health services to students, faculty and staff; to assist with the teaching of sound health practices.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Report to Principal, Supervisor and/or Director of Special Services.
- Work in cooperation with the school physician, other school health professionals, staff members, parents and community health professionals to ensure a healthy school climate and to minimize absence due to illness.
- Conduct health services and screening programs as required by law and/or board policies.
- Schedule and supervise health surveys of students and staff.
- Assist the school physician with physical examinations; make referrals and conduct follow-up activities as necessary.
- Provide emergency care in case of sudden illness and administer first aid in case of injury to students or staff according to established policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the availability and maintenance of required medical supplies and equipment.
- Maintain up-to-date health records both paper and electronic on all students; maintain separate records of immunizations for the purpose of immunization record auditor and ensure their confidentiality.
- Help prevent and control communicable disease through lectures, inspections, exclusion and re-admission of students and staff in keeping with state and local health regulations and school policies.
- Notify Principal or his/her designee for immediate examination of any student who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Confer with and advise students, parents, and staff members on matters pertaining to the health and safety of students.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the district's emergency and crisis management plan.
- Assist the Principal and Child Study Team in the identification and placement of students with disabilities who need special education services.
- Participate in the development of a comprehensive health education curriculum and serve as a health/safety education resource person to teachers. Upon request, assist teachers with instruction of certain health units.
- Promote healthy/safe school environment by assisting the administration and staff to maintain safe and sanitary conditions throughout the school. Report problems promptly to the Principal.
- Administer prescribed medication to students in accordance with law and board policy. Provide training and supervision of the emergency administration of epinephrine for designated school staff.
- Collaborate with community and other nonschool health agencies to meet the health needs of children and families.
- Provide special health care and related services to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
- Assist the Principal with the preparation of the school's health budget.
- Maintain professional competence through inservice education and participation in other professional development activities. Receive training in the treatment of asthma and maintain a valid current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certificate as required by law and administrative code.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures for comprehensive health education and services.
- Develop and maintain the annual School Nursing Plan in conjunction with the Special Services Director.
- Prepare health and safety reports as required by law and/or requested by the Principal.
- Report any suspicion of child abuse to the Division of Youth and Family Services and building Principal or his/her designee.
- Assume other related duties/assignments assigned by the Superintendent, Principal and/or Special Services Director.
- Valid NJ School Nurse Certificate or
- Registered Professional Nurse License
- Ability to demonstrate expertise in school health nursing practice and emergency procedures
- Knowledge of child growth and development, community and family dynamics, current health issues, and wellness education
- Knowledge of community health and social services resources and ability to communicate effectively with non-school health professionals and social service agencies
- Criminal history background check
- US citizenship or legal resident alien status
Per Hoboken Education Association (HEA) Contract