Newark Board of Education
Human Resource Services
765 Broad Street, Newark, NJ 07102
Roger Leon, District Superintendent
Announcement of Vacancy
Supervising Omnibus Operator
Office of Pupil Transportation
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
- Graduation from High School or Vocational School or possession of an approved High School Equivalent Certificate
- Three (3) years of experience in operating a motor vehicle used in the transporation of six (6) or more persons.
Appointees must possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey. Appointees may also be required to possess a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and applicable endorsements for the class and type of vehicle being operated.
Note: The responsiblity for ensuring that employees possess the required motor vehicle license, commensurate with the class and type of vehicles as they operate, rests with the Appoining Authority.
Under direction, supervises the activities of Omnibus Operators; may also drive, clean, service, and make minor repairs to vehicles used in transporting persons assigned established routes or to special activities, events or destinations; does related work as required.
The Supervising Omnibus Operator will:
- Organize assigned work and develops effective work methods.
- Gives suitable assignments to subordinates.
- Prepares clear, sound, accurate, and informative reports.
- Checks vehicles to see that prescribed schedules are maintained.
- Sees that vehicles stop only at designated locations.
- Notes whether vehicles load and discharge passengers properly.
- Assigns routes and passenger pickup points to operators.
- Dispatches vehicles for emergency runs.
- May drive a motor vehicle with a passenger capacity of at least six (6) persons for transporting persons on trips and established assigned routes.
- Checks, cleans, and performs minor servicing of vehicles.
- Checks vehicles for operating safety, proper safety devices, gas, battery, oil, and water before departure.
- Establishes and maintains needed records and files
- May be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the state and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures dealing with the public transportation operations and of motor vehicle regulations.
- Knowledge of the proper methods of making inspections.
- Knowledge of the proper procedures used in operating vehicles, and of the types of violations commonly found in vehicle operations.
- Knowledge of the geography of the jurisdiction and of the safety precautions followed in dealing with passengers.
- Ability to analyze problems involving the operation of vehicles.
- Ability to organize and give suitable work assignments to subordinates.
- Ability to drive vehicles in a skilled and safe manner.
- Ability to check, clean, service, and make minor and emergency repairs to vehicles.
- Ability to maintain essential records.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Go to www.nps.k12.nj.us
- Click on Employees
- Click on Job Opportunities
- Select NPS Job Site
- Refer to Job ID# 24185