The Archway Upper School provides a wide variety of individualized programs for special-needs students ages 8 to 21. Children with communication disabilities, multiple handicaps, behavioral concerns and economic disadvantages -- receive not just an education, but services they need to succeed in life.
Archway Programs is seeking Full-Time Mathematics Teacher for our Upper School Program to service children with special needs during the regular ten month school year, and a special extended school year program during the summer.
Requirements include appropriate NJ school certifications.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Works under the direct supervision of the principal to provide Mathematics instruction to students.
- Works effectively with the Archway child study team, sending district child study teams, administration, parents and support staff (teacher assistants, crisis counselor, related services)
- Gives direction to teacher assistant
- Utilizes teacher assistant appropriately to provide student activities
- Develops effective classroom management system
- Organizes classroom environment/lessons effectively to meet students’ needs
- Has a copy of student’s current IEP and maintains records of goal/objective mastery
- Utilizes appropriate methods/materials to help student succeed
- Organizes/utilizes classroom learning center and displays student work/behavioral contracts
- Maintains ongoing and regular contact with parents concerning: student growth, behavior, needs
- Keep up-to-date anecdotal records and work folders indicating pupil’s current level of functioning in Mathematics area
- Assists in curriculum development selection of educational materials and equipment
- Utilizes a sequential curricula with planned experiences to enable students to:
- improve self-concept
- develop self-help skills
- apply knowledge in basic skill areas
- develop career awarenes
- improve pre-vocational/vocational skills
- improve pupil’s health/physical development
- improve work/study habits
- develop social skills
- develop self-expression
- Maintains/turns in lesson plans and on-going communication forms weekly to the principal
- Participates in orientation/in-service programs, staff meetings, and students’ educational problems/needs
- Controls classroom environment through approved private use of discipline
- Disciplines students while encouraging positive self-growth rather than punishment
- Participates in PIP for professional development
- Attends yearly Handle With Care and CPI training.
- Responsible for any miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Other knowledge, skills, and certifications required:
NJ DOE certification as: Teacher of Mathematics
The number of employees supervised by this position:
Directs activities of classroom Teacher Assistant and any One to One Aides
The usual internal and external contacts:
Internal - all Education Division staff, administrative staff, students
External - School Districts, parents, other human service agencies, & vendors