LONG TERM SUBSTITUTE
TEACHER OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
1. Bachelor’s degree required
2. Hold or be eligible to hold a New Jersey Teaching Certificate
3. Hold appropriate endorsements
Reports To: Building Principal
Job Goal: The classroom teacher’s function is to facilitate and maximize learning. Teaching is not merely the presentation of subject matter, but the thoughtful development and implementation of cognitive and experiential learning opportunities for each student.
- Plan instruction consistent with the district approved curriculum for assigned subject area(s) grade level(s).
- Use formal and informal methods to assess the abilities and needs of students.
- Plan effective use of instructional time.
- Plan instruction consistent with individual Education Program (IEP), where applicable.
Instructional Interaction (Teaching)
- Apply principles of teaching/learning to enhance student achievement.
- Utilize teaching methods that are appropriate for the objectives and learners.
- Modify instruction to meet student needs.
- Communicate effectively with learners.
- Provide for and maintain student involvement during instruction.
Evaluation of Instruction
- Use various methods of evaluation to measure the effectiveness of instruction.
- Communicate effectively student progress to student and parent/guardian.
- Attend to tasks in a manner which maximizes instruction.
- Maintain necessary student records.
- Establish clear expectations for appropriate behavior.
- Establish consequences for inappropriate behavior.
- Establish conditions under which students exercise self-discipline, honesty, leadership and citizenship.
- Accept and fulfill assigned responsibilities and duties in a prompt and efficient manner.
- Follow Board of Education policies, school procedures and any other rules, regulations or that may be established by the central or building administration.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Principal, within the parameters of the hour, terms and conditions of employment as negotiated.
- Participate in professional training programs that will enhance learning processes.
- Adhere to the statutes, administrative code, Board policy and negotiated agreements.
- Recognize problems and actively contribute to their resolutions.
- Collaborate with others to fulfill responsibilities related to building and district goals and priorities.
- Demonstrate a concern for students’ health and safety.
Contract year: 01/01/20-04/16/20
Job Family Professional Staff
Pay Grade/Compensation Structure: G10
Evaluation: In accordance with Board policy