Under the supervision of the COO, the Chef Manager will be responsible for overseeing all food production and maintaining an innovative, cutting edge nutritional breakfast and lunch program that meets the needs of students, faculty, and staff; and abides by the regulations of the federal reimbursable meal program (National School Lunch Program).
Philip’s Education Partners, Inc. and Philip’s Academy Charter Schools take great pride in its food service program, which is part of our comprehensive food literacy program, EcoSpaces Education. With nutritional and dietary standards that emphasize healthy eating habits, it has become a recognized leader in the healthy school lunch movement. The food service is the foundational hub of our EcoSpaces Education program whose goal is “healthy living on a healthy planet”. Each day we provide a made from scratch lunch that meets a stringent set of self-imposed mandates in serving a tasty, healthy, fresh, and diverse lunch to our 700 plus PreK-8 grade student body and faculty. The program is also supported by a roof top garden and an indoor aeroponics laboratory, which grows micro greens for our salad bar (aerofarms.com), and a separate teaching kitchen and art/handwork studio. See program details at www.pacsnewark.org and www.ecospacesed.org.
The EcoSpaces Education Program has been nationally recognized for its innovative programing and ongoing collaboration with FoodCorps (www.foodcorps.org) by former First Lady Michelle Obama, the USDA and the Department of Agriculture, as well as various notable industry chefs.
- Culinary management experience within a large volume, quality-focused setting and catering; culinary degree a plus.
- Interest in food education; willingness to visit classrooms and lead food-oriented activities.
- High expectations for customer service (our students) and quality of food.
- Knowledge of special diets and allergens helpful.
- Understanding of financials as they apply to cost controls of food, labor, and purchasing.
- Ability and willingness to develop and train frontline employees.
- Passion for food, health and innovation for menu/recipe development.
- Working knowledge of the National School Lunch program preferred.
- Shared dedication to Philip’s Academy’s philosophy and mission.
- Excellent teamwork, work ethic, and organizational skills; sense of humor.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and verbally. Bilingual a plus.
- Possess excellent integrity, a gentle spirit, and demonstrate strong moral character and initiative.
- Demonstrate technological abilities: word processing, data management, and informational retrieval.
- Maintain ongoing professional development.
- Submit a background checks through the New Jersey Department of Education.
- Be CPR, First Aid, and Blood Borne Pathogen certified or obtain certification upon hire.
- Complete a Tuberculosis test and physical and provide a physician’s documentation of both.
- Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, pull, and carry up to 50lbs.
- Have dependable transportation.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM
Occasional nights and weekends.
This is a 10-month salaried position with holidays and summers off. There is potential for a 12-month opportunity with an immediate hire.
$45,000 - $55,000
Philip’s Academy Charter Schools provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.