BASIC FUNCTION (the primary purpose of this position):
The Lead Custodian will provide support to the instructional process with specific responsibilities for maintaining the school facility and grounds as a healthy and safe learning environment for students. In addition to regular building maintenance functions, the Lead Custodian provides direct support to classroom teachers in set up and maintenance of furniture and equipment. The lead custodian also serves as a role model for students by displaying a professional, courteous, and helpful nature. Provides support and works closely with building administrator during day and evening activities.
The Lead Custodian is responsible for daily custodial and maintenance operations of the school facility and grounds. The Lead Custodian is responsible for planning and directing custodial and maintenance operations, implementing health, safety and security procedures and creating and updating logs and records, as required. The Lead Custodian is responsible for implementing cleaning procedures to district standards, performing preventative maintenance and instructing staff on proper cleaning and maintenance procedures. The Lead Custodian performs work cleaning and supporting daily activities in the facility. The Lead Custodian demonstrates professional behavior, promoting positive relationships with all stakeholders at all times.
The Lead Custodian receives administrative direction from school administrators and management but must be able to work independently without direct supervision. The Lead Custodian has the ability to communicate effectively with students and parents and can organize multiple tasks and conflicting time constraints.
The Lead Custodian reviews the master calendar to prepare for evening/weekend events to ensure adequate resources. The Lead Custodian operates within school policies and procedures, and by applying acceptable custodial standards, labor and industry standards, and OSHA standards.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Administrative Functions
- Coordinates and initiates maintenance service requests according to district procedures. Follows through to assure that maintenance is performed in a timely manner.
- Plans, schedules and keeps accurate records of custodial operations.
- Maintains inventory and requests cleaning supplies and materials needed to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Possesses an awareness of energy conservation and recycling and makes suggestions to administration and management of methods and procedures to consider energy.
- Secures equipment and supplies and protects against pilferage, loss, theft, or abuse.
- Interacts constructively with staff at all levels.
- Provides direction, feedback, training and guidance to enable staff to perform their job requirements as directed by supervisory personnel and building administrators.
- Administers and receives constructive criticism.
- Advises the CSA and management company on matters relating to mechanical equipment and/or building maintenance.
- Assists in development of work schedules for custodial staff members and directs custodians in the performance of duties.
- Safety and Security
- Periodically inspects, or otherwise maintains awareness of, facility and equipment to detect and prevent injuries or damage.
- Maintains control of keys for the facility and distribute to staff as required.
- Secures school building to insure proper building security at all times. Locks, secures and alarms building at end of shift.
- Assists with implementing emergency planning and response and participates as a member of The Crisis Intervention Team.
- Cleaning Functions
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums, scrubs, and removed scuff marks from floors; cleans, dusts and polishes furniture; washes windows and walls; cleans restrooms; disposes of rubbish, changes lights, etc.; makes certain all areas of the building are kept in a clean, sanitary and orderly condition according to industry and/or district standards.
- Clean and sanitize staff and students desks and all “touch items” on desks.
- Clean and sanitize all bathroom seats and stalls.
- Picks up litter within the schools and on school grounds.
- Sanitizes areas with fogging equipment, as required.
- Assures safety during inclement weather to including shoveling, salting, providing slip protection on wet floors, securing against wind damage, snow removal from roofs, etc.
- Applies cleaning chemicals according to established safety procedures.
- Adheres to safety measures for cleaning, lifting, moving, and operating equipment
- The Lead Custodian is required to properly use and update knowledge of safety equipment as is appropriate to the work to prevent injury to self or others.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Lead Custodian occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Technical degree in electromechanical, HVAC or related field a plus.
- Two years’ experience as a custodian, preferably in a school environment. Strong knowledge of cleaning techniques, materials, and equipment.
- Understanding of enhanced Covid-19 cleaning protocols.
- Supervisory training or experience.
- Ability to communicate and maintain good working relations with all stakeholders.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and to meet tight time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to spend most of the workday standing, lifting, and walking.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and move heavier materials using appropriate equipment.
- Ability to communicate in person, by radio, electronically and over the phone.
- Ability to use computer equipment to complete reports, generate service orders, maintain inventories, etc.
- Must hold a valid state driver's license with a safe driving record.
- May be trained in first aid certification/CPR and defibrillator use.
- Bilingual and bicultural skills a plus.
- Experience with and knowledge of intrusion alarms and automatic fire alarm/sprinkler systems.
- Experience or training in basic Electrical, HVAC, and Plumbing
This is a full time, 12-month, benefits-eligible position.
All applicants must pass criminal background check prior to employment.