- Associate’s degree or higher in Business, Accounting, or Finance or
4 years of experience in an accounts payable role.
- Experience using financial/accounting software packages.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including effective interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Finance role in a government agency or other non-for-profit organization is helpful.
- Proficient in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Open to change and willing to learn new skills.
- Ability to follow up on pending issues.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Required criminal history check and proof of S. citizenship or resident alien status.
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Accounts Payable
The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for day-to-day financial transactions including accounts payable, and various other transactional issues. The Accounts Payable Specialist must exercise discretion in executing essential functions and be able to work independently, following through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Analyzes and processes accounts payable in a timely manner.
- Codes such items as invoices, vouchers, expense reports, check requests, etc., with correct codes confirming to standard procedures to ensure proper entry into the financial system.
- Handles all vendor correspondence via phone or email.
- Investigates and resolves problems associated with processing of invoices.
- Prepares check requests, wire transfers, and ACH transactions.
- Reconciles various accounts on a monthly basis, bringing any discrepancies to the attention of the Accounts Payable Supervisor and Comptroller.
- Receives, researches and resolves a variety of routine internal and external inquires concerning account status, including communicating the resolution of discrepancies to appropriate persons.
- Files, maintains, and distributes accounting documents, records and reports.
- Assist in compiling information and preparing responses to auditors during the annual external audit.
- Performs other duties as required by the Supervisor of Accounts Payable or Business Office Administration.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Twelve (12) month; non-tenurable
Annual Evaluation: Evaluated by the Supervisor of Accounts Payable
*Compensation and benefits as established by the Elizabeth Non-Certified Administrators’ Association.
Date Approved: July 19, 2023