Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEÓN, SUPERINTENDENT
HEATING SYSTEM SPECIALIST
Office of Project Control
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Heating Systems Specialist within the Office of Project Control.
This title is governed by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission; meaning that a candidate for the position will be placed as a provisional employee. At a later date the candidate will be required to take an examination administered by the Civil Service Commission. Candidates must score and rank high enough on this examination in order to remain in the position as a permanent employee.
DEFINITION: Under direction, provides technical assistance and advise to various personnel engaged in the performance of a variety of tasks involved in the operation, repair, and maintenance of heating plants, heating systems, and plumbing facilities; does other related duties as required.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Graduation from High School or Vocational School or possession of an approved High School Equivalent Certificate.
2. Five (5) years of experience in work involving the operation, repair, and maintenance of heating systems and plumbing facilities.
3. Possession of a license of the appropriate grade and type issued by the New Jersey Department of Labor may be required.
4. Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Inspects, analyzes, and offers advise on proper and effective use of heating system plumbing facilities, available funds, personnel, equipment, materials, and supplies.
2. Estimates amounts of materials and equipment needed for various types of heating system and plumbing equipment.
3. Gives advise to heating system and plumbing personnel regarding their work.
4. Inspects, analyzes, and offers advise on installation and repair of steam heating plants and equipment, repair to steam lines, pumps, air, and water lines, and hot water and refrigerating systems.
5. Repairs and repacks valves.
6. Maintains high- and low-pressure piping.
7. Prepares reports.
8. Keeps records.
9. Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
10. Perform other duties and tasks assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of standard tools, materials, methods, practices involved in general maintenance of low-pressure boilers, automatic heating systems, and plumbing facilities.
2. Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
3. Ability to give advice and assistance.
4. Ability to prepare reports.
5. Ability to maintain records.
6. Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
7. Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
8. Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
REPORTS TO: Department Head
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD AND UNION AFFILIATION
1. Salary Range: $77,240 - $97,892
2. Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
3. Union affiliation: Local 32
HOW TO APPLY
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications.
OPENING AND CLOSING DATE
Opening Date: November 7, 2023
Closing Date: November 22, 2023 or until filled
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Salary77,240.00 - 97,892.00 Annual
Type of Job (K-12 or Higher Ed.)