Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
TITLE: LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE
- Graduation from an approved school of nursing; possess and maintain a valid license as a Licensed Practical Nurse under the laws of the State of New Jersey.
- Successful experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse and experience working with children preferred.
- Knowledge of child growth and development, community and family dynamics, sanitation, hygiene and universal precautions, wellness and other current health issues, health-related confidentiality issues and community health and social services resources.
- Effective problem-solving, human relations, and verbal and written communication skills.
- AED Certified
The Licensed Practical Nurse shall be appointed, by a majority vote of the Board of Education, on an annual basis, and shall not be eligible for tenure.
- REPORTS TO:
The Licensed Practical Nurse shall be directly responsible to: the Principal or other administrator of the building to which s/he is assigned; to the Director and Supervisor of Special Services; and to the Supervisor of Health Services. Where appropriate, the Licensed Practical Nurse shall take direction from the school nurse(s) assigned to his/her building.
- JOB GOAL:
Within the scope of his/her professional licenses, provides health services to special education students and those with medical needs requiring specialized care within the scope of his/her professional license, as directed – supervised by the Supervisor of Health Services and/or the building certified school nurse. Shall perform such other appropriate duties as may be required by law or assigned by authorized District personnel.
- HEALTH SERVICES
- Renders first aid for illnesses and injuries, including implementation of an approved Asthma Action Plan and Individualized Health Care Plan as needed.
- Transports or accompanies ill or injured students to/from home or hospital when authorized and consistent with Board policy.
- Assists other District personnel in the identification and evaluation of the health and medical needs of students who have disabilities and/or assists the school nurse in providing for such health and medical needs.
- In accordance with Board policy, promotes a healthy and safe school environment by assisting the administration and staff to maintain safe and sanitary conditions throughout the building; reports problems promptly to the building administrator and corrects, or assists with the correction of those problems as needed.
- Remains abreast of current developments in the health field through literature review, continuing education and participation in professional development activities.
- Provide support services under the direct supervision of a highly qualified teacher.
- Assist with classroom management, such as organizing instructional and other materials.
- Provide support in a library or media center.
- Assist certificated staff with required reports and student class paperwork.
- Assist students prior to, during and immediately after district transportation.
- Attend workshops and/or in-service training provided by the assigned department.
- Escort students to restrooms and provides assistance when necessary. Depending on assignment diapering and direct facilitation of toileting may be required.
- Assist students on the playground.
- Assist students during activities which take place outside the classroom.
- Accompany the certificated teacher and/or administrator in student related extracurricular activities.
- Witness the actions of students and provide input regarding their behavior to certificated personnel.
- Communicate to and work with the Child Study Teams.
- Accept overnight assignments as directed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Read student Individualized Educational Programs and related documents and implements requirements of same under the direction of the certificated staff.
- Maintain confidentiality of students and related family information.
- TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE:
- Assists special education students and students with medical needs requiring specialized care prior to, during and immediately after District transportation.
- Assists the bus/van driver in maintaining appropriate student conduct on the vehicle in order to ensure a safe environment.
- Ensures that all students have seatbelts fastened when riding on a bus/van vehicle; ensures that wheelchairs are securely fastened.
- Assists driver with moving wheelchair students on and off the vehicle.
- Assists driver in providing written records of violations of the student code to the Transportation Supervisor and/or the building Principal.
- Collects and deposits with the school secretary those personal items left on the school bus by students.
Type of Job (K-12 or Higher Ed.)