Union County Educational Services Commission
Westfield, New Jersey
Buildings and Grounds Supervisor
Union County Educational Services Commission is a public school district located in Westfield, NJ that was established to provide cost-effective educational programs and services for its 21 member districts. The Commission is currently seeking a full-time Buildings and Grounds Supervisor to assist the School Business Administrator in planning, executing and administering a comprehensive and cost-effective program of custodial and maintenance services to ensure a safe, healthy and effective learning environment for all students and staff.
* Available Immediately
* Full-Time, 12-Month Position (Monday-Friday)
* Highly Competitive Salary
* Comprehensive Medical and Denal Benefits
* NJ State Employee Pension Eligibility
* Paid Sick, Personal, Family Illness and Vacation Days
- Earned High School diploma. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Completion of a program of study leading to “Certified Educational Facilities Manager” certification from the NJDOE pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:17-49.
- Minimum of five years of experience, preferable completed in a public school district, in the provision of custodial and maintenance services.
- Minimum of two years experience, in the supervision of public school building and grounds preferred .
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in general construction, heating, ventilation, plumbing, carpentry, air conditioning and grounds maintenance.
- General knowledge of building, environmental and safety codes and regulations.
- Interpersonal skills needed to relate well with school administrators, teaching staff, contractors, vendors and members of the local community.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using proper vocabulary and grammar.
- Excellent leadership capacity, organizational skills and the ability to motivate people.
- Valid drivers license issued by the NJ Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Assist the Business Administrator with the hiring, training, scheduling, supervision and evaluation of all custodial, maintenance and cleaning personnel.
- Develop a custodial services plan for each school that outlines the tasks and expectations for custodial staff, including a detailed daily schedule for cleaning and maintenance.
- Assist the Business Administrator in implementing a plan of corrective and preventative maintenance to support the upkeep of all facilities, grounds, and major systems (HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and structural) of the district.
- Conduct regular inspections of all school facilities, grounds and equipment to ensure that high standards of cleanliness, attractiveness and safety are maintained.
- Supervise and participate in the general cleaning, maintenance and repair of all district schools, facilities, vehicles and equipment.
- Ensure custodial, maintenance and cleaning staff comply with all federal, state and local laws regarding the storage, use, and/or disposal of trash, waste and hazardous materials.
- Directly oversee and participate in seasonal grounds keeoing activities, including landscaping, lawn maimtenance, amd snow removal operations.
- Maintain an inventory control system and establish cost-effective purchasing of custodial supplies and maintenance equipment through established bod or quote processes that follow local, state and federal regulation.
- Serve as liaison between district administration and general contractors retained to provide maintenance and repair services to district facilities.
- Remain available on a 24-hour on call basis to respond to fire alarms, security concerns, inclement weather and other emergemcy situations.
- Participate in relevant professional development opportunities to remain abreast of the local, state, and federal laws, regulations, technical practices, and managment techniques related to the cleaning, maintenance and repair of school district facilities.
- Perform all other related duties and responsibilities with in the scope of employment as assigned by the Business Administrator of Superintendent of Schools.