JOB DESCRIPTION TRENTON BOARD OF DUCATION
SUPERVISORS Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL Secondary
||SUPERVISOR OF BILINGUAL AND ESL SECONDARY
||Assistant Superintendent of Teaching & Learning
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB:
The Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL provides administrators, teachers, and other staff with the instructional support needed to ensure that the needs of the bilingual/ESL population are met and English Language Learners (ELLs) become proficient in the English language in order to successfully participate in a monolingual education program.
The Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL Secondary shall:
l. Valid New Jersey Supervisor's Certificate.
- Minimum of Master's degree from an accredited college or university
- Valid New Jersey Standard Certificate in English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Five (5) or more years of teaching experience in English as a Second Language.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws/regulations pertaining to Bilingual and ESL education.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish
- Complete understanding of the entry and exiting procedures for students in the Bilingual/ESL program and testing guidelines as per State Bilingual Law
- Complete understanding of the State-mandated Language Proficiency Test (ACCESS), and its impact on the Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs)
- Familiarity with the WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPs)
- Knowledge of and experience in cun•iculum development
- Ability to facilitate professional learning and problem-solving
- Knowledge of best instructional strategies and/or new initiatives for English Language Learners (ELLs)
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous professional learning
- The ability to work collaboratively with other professional staff on instructional improvement issues
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL Secondary:
l . Provides leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of student identification and programming services
- Provides professional development of ESL teachers, paraprofessionals, and classroom teachers, regarding program description, assessment, curriculum, strategies, and instructional materials
- Coordinates ESL Curriculum review, writing, and adoption for grades 6-12
- Displays and fosters a positive attitude toward the understanding of the education needs of ELLs
- Assists teachers by providing consultation and intervention when requested
6, Monitors and coordinates the administration of the ACCESS (Language Proficiency Test) districtwide
- Analyzes district-wide data to identify areas in need of improvement and modify curriculum
- Assists in the development of Bilingual/ESL programs within the district
- Monitors the implementation and monitoring of the district's state-mandated Bilingual and ESL educational programs
- Keeps abreast of state and federal legislation as it pertains to Bilingual/ESL education
I l . Assists in determining missions, goals, objectives, staffing requirements, and infrastructure needs for ELL students
- Prepares data to complete all Title Ill and Immigrant State mandated reports
- Upholds philosophies/values of the Trenton Board of Education
- Provides for a safe and secure workplace
- Follows attendance, punctuality and proper dress rules
- Maintains positive relationships with staff, parents, and students
- Participates in workshops and training sessions as required
- Prepares all required reports and maintains all appropriate records
- Follows all School Board policies, rules, and regulations
- Exhibits interpersonal skills to work as an effective team member
- Analyzes district-wide data to identify areas in need of improvement and modify curricula
- Conducts observations of ESL and Bilingual teachers
- Provides support of the district-wide literacy program
- Provides professional development and support to ESL and Bilingual instructional services
- Performs other job related duties as directed by the Chief Academic Officer
The Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL Secondary shall be employed under the following terms:
- Work year of twelve months.
- Salary, benefits and leave time as specified in the TASA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Conditions established by laws and codes of the State and policies, rules and regulations established by the Board of Education (N.J.S.A 18A:27-4 et seq.).
The Supervisor of Bilingual and ESL Secondary shall be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education