Barnstable Academy is a top private school in New Jersey for students in grades 5-12, providing the individual attention, specialized learning programs, and safe environment they need to be successful—without sacrificing the athletics, arts, and electives that make up a traditional school experience.
Our campus has an immediate opening for a English/History Edge (1:1) Teacher. This position provides a student centered, supportive classroom that promotes compassion, tolerance, emotional security, resourcefulness, and independent critical thinking while addressing the individual academic and emotional needs of each student through Barnstable’s differentiated approach.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide an outstanding teaching experience to Barnstable students.
- Show evidence of adapting and differentiated instruction for all students and a classroom forum for holistic growth.
- Maintain complete and accurate records.
- Develop and maintain genuine, positive and consistent communication with parents.
- Contribute to and benefit from the campus community.
- Practice professionalism through ongoing professional development, reflection, and continuous improvement.
- In addition to subject matter tutoring and teaching, this position includes significant student mentoring.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required for consideration.
- Solid subject matter knowledge at grade levels 5-12.
- Teaching credentials are required for consideration.
- Experience with students with learning differences and ADHD is a plus as well as mentoring experience.
- The ideal candidate is outgoing, well organized, competent in basic computer skills, and is an individual who is eager to work in a highly dynamic, energetic school setting.
- Candidate must be prepared to teach material at the 5-12 grade levels.
- Expertise in the relevant subject area.
- Understand learning differences and emotional difficulties.
- Ability to manage and teach to a multi-student classroom environment.
- Understand and support Barnstable’s Formal Education Plan (FEP).
- Commitment to continuous improvement.
- Self-directed, proactive, intelligent, knowledge of curriculum and assessment, multi-tasker, problem solving skills, professional written and verbal communication skills, ability to connect with students with patience and compassion.
- Ability to manage stress, and self-regulate during chaos and crisis, consistently positive attitude, strong teamwork, passionate, genuine, organized, internally motivated, service orientation, ability to reserve judgement and respond with curiosity and compassion.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, or sex.