- One of the highest starting salaries in the country. For the 2020-21 school year, the starting salary for a teacher in NPS is $54,500.
- A robust benefits package in addition to your salary, including health coverage, paid time off, and retirement benefits.
- We take your growth as seriously as you take your students’. Whether you’re new to teaching or a seasoned veteran, in NBOE you’ll hone your craft with cutting-edge professional development at every stage of your career.
In Newark, you’ll join a team that believes collaboration helps teachers become better problem-solvers, learn about themselves and their colleagues, and discover deeper meaning in their careers.
NBOE is looking for teachers with:
- Dedication: We want teachers who understand how a great education can strengthen communities and prepare students to reach their goals in life. Our teachers believe in this city and its students—and will do whatever it takes to help them succeed.
- Instructional expertise: We want teachers who know their subjects inside and out, who get their students excited about new academic challenges, and who never stop learning and improving.
- Commitment to diversity and social justice: Our teachers need the self-awareness and emotional intelligence to foster a respectful, inclusive, and joyful classroom. We want teachers who recognize the value of students’ unique beliefs and experiences—and help students see that value in themselves.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support school-wide academic performance goals
- Deliver rigorous, data-driven, differentiated instruction to all students
- Develop a culturally responsive classroom environment
- Improve standards of practice for self and colleagues
- Build connections with families and community to support student learning
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
We highly encourage applications from certified teachers and strong candidates who meet the following requirements:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Hold U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status and pass a criminal background check
- Valid New Jersey teaching certificate in appropriate subject area(s) OR meet requirements to enroll in the alternate route to certification process.
- NBOE is expanding the applicant pool in high priority subject areas to candidates who are not currently certified but are eligible for a Certificate of Eligibility. Career changers with a college degree and passing Praxis scores can teach on a provisional license for four years while they work towards earning their professional educator license.
- For alternate route certification eligibility requirements and application information, please visit the New Jersey Department of Education Office of Certification and Induction website at this address: http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/alternate.htm.
Apply to teach at NBOE today!
Please visit www.teachnewark.com to submit your online application today and learn more about the Newark Board of Education.
The Newark Board of Education does not discriminate employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age or genetics.