TITLE: SPECIAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTIONAL AIDE
QUALIFICATIONS: 60 college credits with a Substitute Certificate or teaching certificate.
REPORTS TO: Principal and/or his/her designee.
JOB GOAL: The responsibilities and duties of the classroom aide are many and vary dependent on the program assignment. The aide is to assist the professional staff and support classified students so that meaningful progress towards educational objectives is achieved in accordance to the student’s IEP goals and objectives.
Under the direction of the school administration, classroom aides shall perform such duties as may be assigned.
- Assist classroom teachers or other professional staff to achieve instructional and behavioral objectives.
- Support the delivery of learning opportunities related to the intellectual, physical, academic and emotional development of children.
- Administers and records such achievement and diagnostic tests as the professional staff recommends for individual students.
- Assist in data collection.
- Physically assisting students with self-help skills, personal care, and mobility.
- Assist students with personal care tasks, including but not limited to, lavatory, clothing, hygiene, diapering, toileting, and wash-up.
- Assist students with mobility needs such as, lifting and positioning students, lifting in and out of wheelchair or other equipment such as a gait trainer, stander, or Rifton chair.
- Assist students with loading and unloading on the bus; transporting students in and around the school and on field trips.
- Work with individuals, small groups, or large groups as assigned by teacher.
- Assist in providing support services to student(s) during individual and group therapy sessions such as speech/language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and nursing services.
- Assist in providing support to student(s) using assistive technology devices.
- Monitor students during assigned periods within a variety of environments in and out of the school for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Assists the teaching staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests and abilities.
- Guides independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up and assigned by the teaching staff.
- Checks notebooks and supervises testing and make-up work, as assigned by the teaching staff.
- Communicates frequently with students to reinforce their academic and social learning.
- Serves as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of a regular teacher.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of the fully licensed teaching staff.
- Participates in in-service training programs, as assigned by the administration.
- Operates and cares for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes.
- Assists with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, and field trips.
- Assists with general classroom routines under the supervision of the teaching staff.
- Assist in the behavior management of the classroom environment
- Assist with the implementation of a student’s Behavior Intervention Plan
- Report student concerns directly and expeditiously to teacher and assist with student resolution
- Monitors student(s) time on task to facilitate learning and lesson engagement.
- Performs such other duties as directed by the administration.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Significant standing; walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling on a daily basis. Should have the ability to lift 50 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential tasks.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with state law and the provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of Certified Personnel.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Ten month work year with salary at the appropriate step of the salary guide as established by the Board of Education.