The Director of College Guidance at Hillel Yeshiva High School has the overall responsibility for guiding and advising our students and families through all aspects of the college guidance process. The Director works with administration and other Guidance Counselors to coordinate all of the students’ post-secondary options. The Director oversees all the operations of the College Guidance Office.
Qualified Candidates will possess:
- An in-depth knowledge of US colleges and universities, as well as an awareness of the evolving college admissions landscape.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills and an understanding of the cultural expectations of our families related to college and university admissions.
- A team-oriented approach to all aspects of the college counseling process and a collaborative spirit of engagement in all professional endeavors.
- Know and advocate strongly for Hillel Yeshiva students, its curriculum, and mission. ? Demonstrated management, organization and written communication skills including writing effective letters of recommendation for each senior advisee and assisting with the preparation of various college-related materials and relevant reports for students, parents, administration and lay leadership.
- Self-confidence, creativity, patience, diplomacy, initiative and a serious work ethic. ? Sensitivity to individual student’s needs and aspirations with appropriate encouragement and realistic overview.
- Articulate oral communication/public speaking skills, be comfortable with leading and speaking at various school events and representing Hillel Yeshiva at community and professional programs.
- Willingness to participate in various aspects of student life and attend evening and weekend events at school and in the community.
- Advanced technology skills for online support of the college counseling program and to familiarize students and parents about relevant resources. Experience with Naviance college and career readiness software is desirable.
The Director of College Guidance:
- Meets with parents about their children’s college process.
- Meets with students individually throughout the year.
- Advises on course selection and its consequences in the college selection process. ? Prepares regular mailings to parents.
- Oversees progress through the fall application process of finalizing their list of colleges, writing essays, scheduling interviews and submitting applications.
- Coordinates the administration of the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and AP Exams. ? Assists students to navigate the process of deferring admission to university for gap year.
Above all, the next Director of College Guidance must bring to this job abundant energy and an enthusiasm for teaching adolescents and working with parents, be detail oriented, have the ability to get along well with all constituencies, and have excellent organization, written and verbal communication skills.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter, resume and sample recommendation letter To Rabbi Howard Bald, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.